Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Spooky return of all my data after re-install Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
opiedopy

Spooky return of all my data after re-install Debian

#1 Post by opiedopy »

Question: How was it possible that all my files and programs reappeared after re-installation of Debian?
Background: After giving a Raspberry Pi to my grandson for Christmas, I worked with him to learn how to use it and Debian. Then, returning home, I resurrected and old Vaio laptop and replaced the old hard drive with a SSD and installed a fresh Debian Linux system on the laptop. I used the method suggested of a thumb drive with the Debian image on it for complete installation. After apt-get and other steps, I had a working Debian Linux laptop.
I agressively loaded the laptop with Linux programs and made many ill advised mistakes, especially loading and installing programs for "arm" machine because I learned that from the RPi4. But my laptop was x86-64 and not "arm" at all. I had some program problems.
So, I decided to start fresh, and re-install Debian for a clean Linux laptop. I choose Google Drive to save the multitude of files I had saved during my Python learning exercises, plus Libre writer many personal documents. I did the re-install of Debian from the thumb drive. It happened quickly and I was happy. It was a fresh laptop with none of my old files or added programs on it. I went back to google drive to get my files and the folder was empty! I had made a loading error to google drive and had not checked the drive after thinking I had transferred all my old files into it. So, all was lost.
I went to bed and the next morning turned on the Vaio laptop and VIOLA! Everything was returned to as-before the re-installation. All programs were installed, and all my 800 files in my document folder were there.
While happy, I decided to register in this forum and ask the question, How did this re-installation happen without my input or using a clone program beforehand???? Spooky or totally normal?
Thanks,
Happy in NC, USA.
Opie

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spooky return of all my data after re-install Debian

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Perhaps you elected to install the OS in a separate partition and the reinstall overwrote the system partition only leaving your data intact. Check how the disk is partitioned.

opiedopy

#3 Post by opiedopy »

To: Freewheelinfrank,

It is a pleasure to have your quick response that was so helpful and accurate. There are indeed two partitions just as you predicted. I can't for the life of me remember that choice when I re-booted on the thumb drive, in fact I was so confused at the time it may have auto-booted. Perhaps Debian protects beginners like me from stupidity. If so, I am grateful.

Thanks,
Opie

https://www.binarytides.com/linux-comma ... artitions/

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 532479 524288 256M c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 532480 62333951 61801472 29.5G 83 Linux

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 4194kB 273MB 268MB primary fat32 lba
2 273MB 31.9GB 31.6GB primary ext4

ooopppss! Frank, (and others reading this.) I happen to be on a visit and am on my grandson's RPi4 and NOT my laptop. I will power up the laptop in an hour or so and show you the partitions there as well. But, interesting, the RPi4 has two partitions. (More info later, but I am sure, Frank, you have nailed the question accurately.)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

opiedopy wrote:Perhaps Debian protects beginners like me from stupidity.
Debian most definitely doesn't do that. It is more likely to reward stupidity with total destruction. You got lucky. :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

opiedopy

#5 Post by opiedopy »

To: FreewheelinFrank and sunrat:

Here is my fdisk -l command on my Vaio laptop with 125 GB SSD. As described I initially did a boot-to-thumbdrive clean
Debian install, 64 bit to start this laptop, then did another boot-to-thumbdrive to start all over.
And now, I find three partitions! (ps - no..... after staring at data, it seems that I really only have 1 partition, /dev/sda. The other
partitions are very small. Same goes with the Raspberry Pi I showed earlier. Only one partition is of any size.)

Yes, I am lucky.

Thanks for your comments and help understanding this issue. I am a Linux believer.
I do believe that my question has been answered and think that this thread be open for similar questions
to my original one but partition-detail questions may be better served in a non Beginner Forum?
(ha, I sound like a pretend-Administrator. Sorry, but I get blasted for hijacking threads in my other forums on my other hobbies.)

Results of my Vaio laptop,
$ sudo fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 111.8 GiB, 120034123776 bytes, 234441648 sectors
Disk model: FATTYDOVE SSD 12
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xfcefe26c

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 2048 232441855 232439808 110.9G 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 232443902 234440703 1996802 975M 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 232443904 234440703 1996800 975M 82 Linux swap / Solaris

sudo mount

/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)