Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Deleted Inode Read Only Filesystem

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Macmittens

Deleted Inode Read Only Filesystem

#1 Post by Macmittens »

Hi,

I’ve been having a lot of trouble with my Debian install reverting my filesystem to read only. I assumed this was a hardware problem and I’ve replaced both the RAM and the SSD figuring one of those was responsible, but the issue has stayed around. The machine is a headless NUC running Debian Buster.

Whenever I have the issue the machine keeps running, just switches to read-only, and then I end up having to reboot and go through initramfs to get fsck to fix deleted inode referencing. I can’t work out if there’s a way to chase down the actual source of this problem given the hardware has been replaced.

The box itself runs openHAB, pi-hole, Plex, and the assoaciated web servers to keep all of this alive- the way I generally find the problem is that pi-hole stops working.

Filesystem is Ext4, and drive is an NVMe SSD

I’ve tried looking through dmesg and the kernel logs, but I really can’t work out what I’m looking for!

Would really appreciate any help!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Deleted Inode Read Only Filesystem

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

When you replaced the disk did you create a fresh filesystem and reinstall or did you just copy (or clone) the old disk? You may have copied over the corruption from the old disk.
deadbang

Macmittens

#3 Post by Macmittens »

I cloned the old drive - the other thing I realised this morning is that both of the drives were the same; I went from a Crucial MX500 2.5" to an M.2 Crucial MX500 - so I'm not sure if the drive itself is the source of the problem?

I keep repairing the files and the problems keep cropping up; I'm assuming this is either indicative with drive deterioration (which shouldn't be the case with two drives), a RAM problem (which shouldn't be the case having swapped out the RAM), or possibly something in software?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Perhaps you also cloned the corruption so try creating a fresh filesystem.
deadbang