Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Introduction

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
remage

Introduction

#1 Post by remage »

Hello,

I wanted to introduce myself, I recently received a cert from the linux foundation.
I am running Ubuntu and Linux server I migrated from Windows because it was very insecure.
I'll probably post logs and ask questions about different things at some point. Thank you.

arzgi

Re: Introduction

#2 Post by arzgi »

This is Debian user forums. Ubuntu is NOT Debian, but Debian derivative, which is not supported here.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

remage wrote:I migrated from Windows because it was very insecure
You should probably read https://madaidans-insecurities.github.io/linux.html

Windows is actually pretty good in respect of security. It just sucks at privacy and the general user experience :mrgreen:
deadbang

remage

#4 Post by remage »

arzgi wrote:This is Debian user forums. Ubuntu is NOT Debian, but Debian derivative, which is not supported here.
I did not realize this when I took the Linux Foundation cert it basically lumped in Ubuntu with the Debian family.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#5 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: You should probably read https://madaidans-insecurities.github.io/linux.html
That's just an Microshit's FUD campaign, and I'm surprised that You are referencing this crap.
It's impossible to explain all the security aspects of Linux-based systems vs Microshit OS, but here's just one thing to consider:
There are only few viruses targeting Linux-based systems, despite the fact, that the Linux systems are the most widely used - Linux is de facto running our world.
In case of Winblows, the number of viruses spawned every single day is several times higher than the total number of viruses ever created for Linux in the history.
What's also very important - none of viruses designed for Linux have never caused a global infection - because most of linux viruses are theoreitcal projects, not really harmfull.

Sandboxing:
Linux is "sandboxing" every single application or service (process separation).
The claim that "There is no strong sandboxing in the standard Linux desktop" is simply a FUD - "strong sanboxing" is an undefined term, and the purpose of using it is just to support the FUD - the article does not explain what exactly this term is supposed to mean.
Exploit Mitigations
Most programs on Linux are written in memory unsafe languages such as C or C++ which causes the majority of discovered security vulnerabilities. Other operating systems have made more progress on adopting memory safe languages such as Windows which is leaning heavily towards Rust, a memory-safe language.
FUD method squared, there's no such thing as memory-safe-language.

That article is written by a Microshit troll, it sinks for a mile - and You should know it.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote:That article is written by a Microshit troll
Erm, no, madaidan is a Whonix developer: https://github.com/madaidan
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#7 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:(...)Perhaps refute the extensively cited technical issues raised by the link instead of attempting to slander the author?
For me, it looks like the "author" wants to advertise his own project/get a job at MS - sorry - I have no other conclusions.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Sorry, I deleted that comment, it was pointless.
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#9 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Sorry, I deleted that comment, it was pointless.
OK