Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Setting up network on 'vanilla' bullseye

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
otalado

Setting up network on 'vanilla' bullseye

#1 Post by otalado »

I downloaded weekly Debian 11 net install ISO for ARM64 (15th FEB 2021-02) and installed it on my Raspberry Pi 4. During install, the network was not recognized, so I continued without it. After the install was finished the network did not work. When I checked with ip a command, I found an ethernet interface, but the status was DOWN. I set it UP with the ip link set dev xxzzyy up. At that point, I should be able to ping the network by IP Address, yet for any address which I try to ping, I am getting the message: Network is unreachable. Command ip neighbor show shows nothing.

At that point, my limited knowledge is exhausted. I was searching the forums, all hits I managed to get were either obsolete or irrelevant. So, I'll appreciate any suggestions or links with some explanation, ...

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Setting up network on 'vanilla' bullseye

#2 Post by Hallvor »

What chipset is in it? Post the output of

Code: Select all

$ lspci | grep -i wireless
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

otalado

#4 Post by otalado »

@Hallvor, @arochester: lspci command you asked me to try produces no output in both your cases. If I read the man page for lspci command correctly, data is stored in /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids. Unfortunately, there is no directory /usr/share/hwdata.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Hallvor »

[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

otalado wrote: I found an ethernet interface, but the status was DOWN. I set it UP with the ip link set dev xxzzyy up. At that point, I should be able to ping the network by IP Address
No. The interface is UP but is not configured with any IP addresse and route.
otalado wrote:I am getting the message: Network is unreachable
As expected.

ip addr add ...
ip route add ...
or, if you have a DHCP server,

dhclient xxzzyy
For persistent configuration, consider using /etc/network/interfaces or any other network manager.

otalado

#7 Post by otalado »

@p.H
Sigh! Now, that you gave me an answer, it seems pretty obvious. As they say, everyone has 20/20 hind vision :(
Let's hope I won't forget this one (too soon).
Many thanks!