Testing Bullseye for begginers.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Testing Bullseye for begginers.

Postby Penaut Butter » 2021-02-17 00:42

Hello,
I was wondering if there is a correct way to test the coming Debian 11 release.
Fedora for example has something called 'Testing days' for a coming kernel update, and you can run a simple script with 'sudo ./runtests.sh' and get results that get uploaded.
So, I was wondering if Debian has similar tools, or if it is enough to poke around with testing/unstable (I already reported a few bugs).

Penaut Butter

Re: Testing Bullseye for begginers.

Postby arid » 2021-02-17 01:34

So, I was wondering if Debian has similar tools, or if it is enough to poke around with testing/unstable (I already reported a few bugs).

Tell me more about these "bugs" you've found in testing/unstable that by their very nature are expected to have problems.

I've been using unstable for ~20 years and I've never noticed any problems. :mrgreen:

Of course if you insist on using that little black box instead of Synaptic, well...who...knows

You can try a 'live' system that you don't have to install to check for all those bugs.
There's no drama in my sid......
arid

Postby Penaut Butter » 2021-02-17 20:00

arid wrote:testing/unstable that by their very nature are expected to have problems.

Hello, maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not complaining about anything :)
I want to help testing the upcoming Bullseye release. And was wondering if the recommended way is to simply poke around a Testing/Unstable install. Or if debian has some tools/scripts to test the upcoming changes. I DO want to find and squash some bugs :D if there are bugs of course.

To answer your question I found some minor bugs like duplicate systray icons, and segfaults. Along with specific hardware and linux kernel/firmware minor issues.
Penaut Butter

Postby arzgi » 2021-02-18 11:20

There have been bug bashing parties, but I think they were only for devs.

repotrbug package and program is preferred tool for bug reports.
arzgi

Return to Beginners Questions