Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Testing Bullseye for begginers.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Penaut Butter

Testing Bullseye for begginers.

#1 Post by Penaut Butter »

Hello,
I was wondering if there is a correct way to test the coming Debian 11 release.
Fedora for example has something called 'Testing days' for a coming kernel update, and you can run a simple script with 'sudo ./runtests.sh' and get results that get uploaded.
So, I was wondering if Debian has similar tools, or if it is enough to poke around with testing/unstable (I already reported a few bugs).

arid

Re: Testing Bullseye for begginers.

#2 Post by arid »

So, I was wondering if Debian has similar tools, or if it is enough to poke around with testing/unstable (I already reported a few bugs).
Tell me more about these "bugs" you've found in testing/unstable that by their very nature are expected to have problems.

I've been using unstable for ~20 years and I've never noticed any problems. :mrgreen:

Of course if you insist on using that little black box instead of Synaptic, well...who...knows

You can try a 'live' system that you don't have to install to check for all those bugs.
There's no drama in my sid......

Penaut Butter

#3 Post by Penaut Butter »

arid wrote:testing/unstable that by their very nature are expected to have problems.
Hello, maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not complaining about anything :)
I want to help testing the upcoming Bullseye release. And was wondering if the recommended way is to simply poke around a Testing/Unstable install. Or if debian has some tools/scripts to test the upcoming changes. I DO want to find and squash some bugs :D if there are bugs of course.

To answer your question I found some minor bugs like duplicate systray icons, and segfaults. Along with specific hardware and linux kernel/firmware minor issues.

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

There have been bug bashing parties, but I think they were only for devs.

repotrbug package and program is preferred tool for bug reports.