Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thinking of installing debian but want to use sysvinit

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
vmclark

Re: Thinking of installing debian but want to use sysvinit

#31 Post by vmclark »

lizzias wrote:
arochester wrote:Why?

Because i said so that's why.
This is why we should have ignored the OP.
Last edited by vmclark on 2021-02-23 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#32 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ The OP appears to have self-identified as female.
deadbang

VA1DER

#33 Post by VA1DER »

vmclark wrote:
lizzias wrote:
arochester wrote:Why?
Because i said so that's why.
This is why we should have ignored the OP.
Then why didn't you? You should have ignored the OP and the thread in its entirety.

The OP was actually a lot politer there than I would have been. It is endlessly tiresome to ask a question to have psuedo-helpful pundits chime in with the "Oh My God, why would you want to do that?" comments. Why the OP wanted to find out about the current feasibility of ripping out systemd is one hundred percent irrelevant to the question. The OP was completely in his right to (mildly) step on that question and the asker in the way it was done. It stopped the philosophical discussion in its tracks for the first 2/3rds of the thread and made it a useful discussion.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:EDIT: and I didn't call them a "religious nut". Even though they clearly are :mrgreen:
Who is the religious zealot... the one who asks a technical question hoping for a technical answer? Or maybe is it the one who teases out the reason for it and then points and says ah, religious zealot.

Let's keep this on track. There are people interested in Debian-esqe installations that are as systemd free as possible. Why this is so is irrelevant.

Deb-fan

#34 Post by Deb-fan »

dammit gotta do it ...

Why is a technical question, the reason a person is trying to do XYZ (what they're actually attempting to do) can drastically change what more informed techies could/would suggest. Why is more than a perfectly reasonable question in my view. Seen the thread and also started to ask that very same thing myself (why do you want/need this, what are you trying to accomplish??) and recognized the futility so didn't bother. The OP is clearly an all over the place whacknut. Though sheesh thread still attracted thousands of views, so whatever I guess.

Not bothering to throw 2 cents in on this in a technical context as it's feeding of trolls and pointless. Not like there's any shortage of information on init's available. If the OP is too lazy and/or stupid to bother with any of that, really no point anyway. If it's just an I read a snippet (about a bunch of ignorant folks views on the evils of systemd) and for reasons I don't understand, don't like what upstream (the people who do the lionsshare of actual maintenance and development in terms of the gnu/Linux platform) are doing.

So all you geeks quickly and easily tell me how to do something that's both inherently stupid (technically speaking) and also clearly far outside my abilities, while you enjoy my mindless, all over the place nonsense ramblings about topics they have little or no understanding of either, open source is and/or used to be like this, should be like that, that's why blah, unix philosophy ... blahblahblah ... Errrr, NO, I don't think so, shrugs.
Sub-gotta do it ...

Dear OP, please go farf yourself .... why ? Because I said so, that's why.

Also added this cause it's funny, that's why. :)
Find out about these miraculous things = search engines ... Search for stuff, learn about it and then when/if a person ever has any thoughts or insights worth sharing by all means, do so. Crap it's 2021 and absolutely ridiculous how few have apparently heard about these new internet + search engine thingies.

Lol ... mostly just pointlessly venting here, arghh n shrugs. :P
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#35 Post by steve_v »

lizzias wrote: Nothing is developed enough to do the gaming on Linux I wish to do and run my devices.
If you had explained exactly what it is you're trying to run on your machine right at the start, somebody might have been more helpful. v0v.

FWIW, I run a couple of Devuan installs, and it's pretty much exactly what it says on the tin: Debian without systemd, and without the ongoing pain of keeping systemd from being pulled back in. Despite attempts to make it look like a fully independent distro, it's still really not much more than a package overlay to fix all the gratuitous hard-deps on systemd. And that's exactly what's needed.
As already mentioned, refractainstaller is optional and only used in the live images. If you want a traditional Debian installer, use the netinstall ISO.

As for Gentoo, I can personally attest that "gaming on Linux" there is just fine. I run Gentoo on my shiny new comet-lake desktop, it's blazing-fast, rock-solid, hassle-free, and games just swimmingly. You just have to wait a little longer for stuff to install on Gentoo is all.
You obviously don't get the stable packages bit that you do on Debian/Devuan, but IME you don't get the Arch-effect either (when I ran Arch, the catchphrase was "Arch likes to live on the bleeding edge, and you get to do the bleeding). Unless you switch to "unstable" keywords, there's very, very little breakage.
And of course you get real init-freedom too - sysv, systemd, openrc, epoch, runit, and s6 all work just fine.

To return to your initial question: It's still possible, but you really, really don't want to go there. You'll spend more time digging out systemd deps and rebuilding packages than using the machine, and at that point you're better off running Devuan.
VA1DER wrote:The OP was actually a lot politer there than I would have been. It is endlessly tiresome to ask a question to have psuedo-helpful pundits chime in with the "Oh My God, why would you want to do that?" comments.
Indeed.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:EDIT: and I didn't call them a "religious nut". Even though they clearly are :mrgreen:
"I didn't, but I meant to, so now I will." :roll:
The real religious nuts around here are those who roll out the inquisition at the slightest mention of non-systemd installs rather than offering useful, technical advice...
Deb-fan wrote:clearly an all over the place whacknut.
Deb-fan wrote:too lazy and/or stupid
Deb-fan wrote:ignorant folks views on the evils of systemd
Deb-fan wrote:nonsense ramblings
Deb-fan wrote:little or no understanding
Deb-fan wrote:please go farf yourself
And the inquisition has arrived.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.