Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Thinking of installing debian but want to use sysvinit

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
lizzias

Thinking of installing debian but want to use sysvinit

#1 Post by lizzias »

so no systemd. how to install wihtout systemd is the thing. is there a guide on this?

lizzias

Re: Thinking of installing debian but want to use sysvinit

#3 Post by lizzias »

arochester wrote:Why?

Because i said so that's why.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

lizzias wrote:so no systemd. how to install wihtout systemd is the thing.
Easy, pick one of these. There are at least three on that list that are Debian based.

There is no easy and reliable method to install Debian and convert it to run without systemd, at least not for amateurs. There used to be but that's history.

lizzias

#5 Post by lizzias »

Bulkley wrote:
lizzias wrote:so no systemd. how to install wihtout systemd is the thing.
Easy, pick one of these. There are at least three on that list that are Debian based.

There is no easy and reliable method to install Debian and convert it to run without systemd, at least not for amateurs. There used to be but that's history.
TY!

lizzias

#6 Post by lizzias »

MX/Antix looks like they are no more. thats sad.

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

To be fair let's add Devuan.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

lizzias wrote:MX/Antix looks like they are no more. thats sad.
Then I've been building packages for nothing all this time! ZOMG!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
MX Linux packager and developer

lizzias

#10 Post by lizzias »

stevepusser wrote:
lizzias wrote:MX/Antix looks like they are no more. thats sad.
Then I've been building packages for nothing all this time! ZOMG!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sorry my mistake. I mistook what looks like no new respin for over a year as dead. Upon further examination 19.3 was relesaed in late 2020 and the forums have post with active posts dated today.

lizzias

#11 Post by lizzias »

Bulkley wrote:To be fair let's add Devuan.

yah i saw devuan but it uses refracta installer which is fine for most people but last time i used it (refracta) it was limited in what directories one could create for your install to whatever ones the devs used for the vanilla install and no curtomizing was available if i wanted to say mount a partition as /home/[user]/Steam at install time it wouldnt jive so well. Ya sure i can edit fstab after first boot up and reboot again but it's just nice to be able to create all that at install time and not have to fuss with manually editing files. I have used obarun and artix but the maintinence is ridiculous when something goes wonky. When i turn my pc on to play a game on steam i'd rather not be required to spend an hour or days troubleshooting why my sixaxis controller isn't working this time. Or why on my arch install i have the correct button mapping for my ipega-9021 controller but not on the arch derivative openrc, runit, or s6 configed system. I figured if anyone has a nonsystemd system running with top notch performance, it would have to be debian and if they cant do it then it's just time to quit.

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Note that MX Linux is no more systemd-free than Debian; both antiX and Devuan are completely systemd-free (notwithstanding a few vestigial configuration files) but there are some incompatibility problems caused by an increasing number of Debian packages not supplying sysvinit scripts. This problem will only get worse over time.

If you really want to avoid systemd completely then move to a musl libc based distribution (systemd has a hard dependency on glibc) or go to the BSDs. Haiku is another alternative. I prefer OpenBSD & Alpine Linux myself.
deadbang

lizzias

#13 Post by lizzias »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Note that MX Linux is no more systemd-free than Debian; both antiX and Devuan are completely systemd-free (notwithstanding a few vestigial configuration files) but there are some incompatibility problems caused by an increasing number of Debian packages not supplying sysvinit scripts. This problem will only get worse over time.

If you really want to avoid systemd completely then move to a musl libc based distribution (systemd has a hard dependency on glibc) or go to the BSDs. Haiku is another alternative. I prefer OpenBSD & Alpine Linux myself.

PC-BSD, aaaah! those were the days...

wonders how bad it could be if i installed pc-bsd from here: https://archiveos.org/pc-bsd/ . 5 yr old iso should work just fine! I'll just convert everything to freebsd and whamo blamo all is well! bwahahahahaah.

So no sysvinit on debian. got it . thanks.

pcalvert

#14 Post by pcalvert »

lizzias wrote: So no sysvinit on debian. got it . thanks.
Well, that's not completely true. You could always try this:
How-To: Debian Buster with SysVinit as PID 1

Don't bother, though, if you aren't willing to live with some inconveniences. If you are willing to use Xfce or a window manager like Fluxbox, IceWM, JWM, or Openbox, then you might be satisfied with the result. If not, you can always convert the system to Devuan.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

lizzias

#15 Post by lizzias »

pcalvert wrote:

Don't bother, though, if you aren't willing to live with some inconveniences. If you are willing to use Xfce or a window manager like Fluxbox, IceWM, JWM, or Openbox, then you might be satisfied with the result. If not, you can always convert the system to Devuan.

Phil

I am very fond of openbox. Have run it and configured it many times. Once it's setup it's a great little system, though setting it up tends to be a bit tedious. My first arch install was openbox and lightdm with a single line of conky across the bottom and tint2 along the top and left side.

So ty for the link i will have a lookie see ....

lizzias

#16 Post by lizzias »

pcalvert wrote:

Phil

looks fairly painless to me. so i do a basic net install with no X, boot to a bash prompt, remove systemd, install sysvinit and elogind and then install X and my DE or WM and various extras as needed. No doom and gloom here. TY! PS if you need some doom and gloom to get through the day try this: https://odysee.com/@Lunduke:e/LinuxSucks2021:1

Meanwhile, i'll test this out and see how it shakes... if i can run steam and play my game with my sixaxis controller via bluetooth and it consistently works as expected without the need to troubleshoot something everytime i want to play i'll consider that a win and blamo youi have a new debian user reconverted once more. :)

lizzias

#17 Post by lizzias »

Not to painful. I'm in sysvinit as per the instructions and i'm using xfce. No worries. Now to remember how to debian after so many years on archies...

Bulkley

#18 Post by Bulkley »

lizzias wrote:I'm in sysvinit as per the instructions and i'm using xfce.
Keep us posted as to how well it performs. I tried it in virtual and it worked as promised until I did something (I can't remember what) and it fell to pieces. I'd like to know how yours does.

lizzias

#19 Post by lizzias »

Bulkley wrote:
lizzias wrote:I'm in sysvinit as per the instructions and i'm using xfce.
Keep us posted as to how well it performs. I tried it in virtual and it worked as promised until I did something (I can't remember what) and it fell to pieces. I'd like to know how yours does.

it's a house of cards for sure. new kernel r8168-dkms bluetooth... eventually you hit something that wants systemd. i fiddled with it until i got liquorix installed but then the stupid r8169 hits. its a lot to sort out.

lizzias

#20 Post by lizzias »

After having installed Debian with refracta installer 2x I’m annoyed that my typed paw is not taking. I can do no maintenance after reboot. Annoying!