Thinking of installing debian but want to use sysvinit

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: Thinking of installing debian but want to use sysvinit

Postby lizzias » 2021-02-19 18:03

pcalvert wrote:
lizzias wrote:So no sysvinit on debian. got it . thanks.

Well, that's not completely true. You could always try this:
How-To: Debian Buster with SysVinit as PID 1

Phil

looks fairly painless to me. so i do a basic net install with no X, boot to a bash prompt, remove systemd, install sysvinit and elogind and then install X and my DE or WM and various extras as needed. No doom and gloom here. TY! PS if you need some doom and gloom to get through the day try this: https://odysee.com/@Lunduke:e/LinuxSucks2021:1

Meanwhile, i'll test this out and see how it shakes... if i can run steam and play my game with my sixaxis controller via bluetooth and it consistently works as expected without the need to troubleshoot something everytime i want to play i'll consider that a win and blamo youi have a new debian user reconverted once more. :)
lizzias

Postby lizzias » 2021-02-19 21:42

Not to painful. I'm in sysvinit as per the instructions and i'm using xfce. No worries. Now to remember how to debian after so many years on archies...
lizzias

Postby Bulkley » 2021-02-20 02:15

lizzias wrote:I'm in sysvinit as per the instructions and i'm using xfce.

Keep us posted as to how well it performs. I tried it in virtual and it worked as promised until I did something (I can't remember what) and it fell to pieces. I'd like to know how yours does.
Bulkley

Postby lizzias » 2021-02-20 03:51

Bulkley wrote:
lizzias wrote:I'm in sysvinit as per the instructions and i'm using xfce.

Keep us posted as to how well it performs. I tried it in virtual and it worked as promised until I did something (I can't remember what) and it fell to pieces. I'd like to know how yours does.

it's a house of cards for sure. new kernel r8168-dkms bluetooth... eventually you hit something that wants systemd. i fiddled with it until i got liquorix installed but then the stupid r8169 hits. its a lot to sort out.
lizzias

Postby lizzias » 2021-02-20 04:24

After having installed Debian with refracta installer 2x I’m annoyed that my typed paw is not taking. I can do no maintenance after reboot. Annoying!
lizzias

Postby Bulkley » 2021-02-20 05:57

Antix has a net install that uses Runit as PID1. You could install that and build from there.
Bulkley

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-02-20 08:05

lizzias wrote:so i do a basic net install with no X, boot to a bash prompt, remove systemd, install sysvinit and elogind

You cannot remove systemd in Debian. It is perfectly possible to use sysvinit, runit or openrc-init as PID1 but the systemd package itself cannot be removed.

For normal people this would not be a problem because systemd would not actually be running but i recommended a musl libc based distribution because your tone suggests that you are one of those weird religious types who are existentially offended by the presence of an unused piece of software that you don't like.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby pcalvert » 2021-02-20 15:38

lizzias wrote:it's a house of cards for sure. new kernel r8168-dkms bluetooth... eventually you hit something that wants systemd. i fiddled with it until i got liquorix installed but then the stupid r8169 hits. its a lot to sort out.

That's why I suggested that, if you run out of patience, you convert the system to Devuan. It's not difficult.

Phil
“It is better to believe than to disbelieve; in doing so, it brings
everything into the realm of possibility.” — Albert Einstein
pcalvert

Postby lizzias » 2021-02-20 18:46

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
lizzias wrote:so i do a basic net install with no X, boot to a bash prompt, remove systemd, install sysvinit and elogind

You cannot remove systemd in Debian. It is perfectly possible to use sysvinit, runit or openrc-init as PID1 but the systemd package itself cannot be removed.

For normal people this would not be a problem because systemd would not actually be running but i recommended a musl libc based distribution because your tone suggests that you are one of those weird religious types who are existentially offended by the presence of an unused piece of software that you don't like.

That’s funny really because it took 250 versions of systemd to get stable. Whereas the sysvinit that Debian used to use was never broken. If as much energy had been put into fixing that which was never broken in the first place just to satisfy the growing cult of systemd which by the way clearly impedes freedom of choice and is antifoss and antignu, I wonder at the marvelous state sysvinit would be in, not being treated like some back door hookup that’s for sure. But yah call me the religious nut for bucking the system that requires everyone to think the same no matter what. ::eye roll::

At any rate it’s clear. Nothing is developed enough to do the gaming on Linux I wish to do and run my devices. I’ve used artix and gentoo and obarun and for one reason or another they all fail to perform. Or it could be said that I fail to perform because the complexity of maintaining the system when it breaks is more tedious then my skill set can bear. And I guess that’s the real issue. Im just a crazy lady on ssdi with ptsd who can’t cope when all is said and done. Thanks all for you help. Much appreciated. Have a wonderful day.
lizzias

Postby arochester » 2021-02-20 19:32

Debian, along with the majority of other Linux distros, has been using systemd for nearly seven years now.

Maybe, if you had told us about the actual problems you had, instead of the problems you imagined you might have, you might have got better help,

Gaming on Linux. That's new to us and a little late.

As H_o_a_S might have said: https://xyproblem.info/
arochester

Postby lizzias » 2021-02-20 20:19

arochester wrote:Debian, along with the majority of other Linux distros, has been using systemd for nearly seven years now.

Maybe, if you had told us about the actual problems you had, instead of the problems you imagined you might have, you might have got better help,

Gaming on Linux. That's new to us and a little late.

As H_o_a_S might have said: https://xyproblem.info/

This is why people don’t like using Linux. In a nut shell. You want to control people’s thinking rather than just be helpful. Systemd is just another symptom of it.
lizzias

Postby Deb-fan » 2021-02-21 08:20

Waste of time + energy but this is clearly just neurotic trolling. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby sunrat » 2021-02-21 08:36

lizzias wrote:This is why people don’t like using Linux.

Who is this "people" you speak of? I like using Linux so I must not be people.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2021-02-21 16:29

The weird thing is that the OP has now installed Devuan instead and claims that the gaming stuff is working for that :?

EDIT: and I didn't call them a "religious nut". Even though they clearly are :mrgreen:
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby sgage » 2021-02-21 20:14

lizzias wrote:
Bulkley wrote:To be fair let's add Devuan.

yah i saw devuan but it uses refracta installer which is fine for most people but last time i used it (refracta) it was limited in what directories one could create for your install to whatever ones the devs used for the vanilla install and no curtomizing was available if i wanted to say mount a partition as /home/[user]/Steam at install time it wouldnt jive so well. Ya sure i can edit fstab after first boot up and reboot again but it's just nice to be able to create all that at install time and not have to fuss with manually editing files. I have used obarun and artix but the maintinence is ridiculous when something goes wonky. When i turn my pc on to play a game on steam i'd rather not be required to spend an hour or days troubleshooting why my sixaxis controller isn't working this time. Or why on my arch install i have the correct button mapping for my ipega-9021 controller but not on the arch derivative openrc, runit, or s6 configed system. I figured if anyone has a nonsystemd system running with top notch performance, it would have to be debian and if they cant do it then it's just time to quit.

The live installer uses Refracta. The plain installers use Debian installer.
sgage

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions