Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Grub Fails to Install

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
pinkbeat

Re: Grub Fails to Install

#46 Post by pinkbeat »

@ p.H. Thanks, I'll give it a try. Sorry, I didn't realize I was typing within the qoute. Honest mistake. Thanks for telling me. Don't want to be confusing. I'll report back by tomorrow sometime. Thanks again p.H.

Bulkley

#47 Post by Bulkley »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I don't have permission to view that image and I refuse to sign up to "Flickr" (whatever the **** that is).
I have to agree. I tried the Flikr link and got "404".

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#48 Post by p.H »

Bulkley wrote:I tried the Flikr link and got "404"
Not the same issue. The OP removed old pictures.

pinkbeat

#49 Post by pinkbeat »

p.H wrote:
- install GRUB in the removable device path (fallback bootloader)

A bit confused as what to do at this step. What do I partition that section as so there is space for it? Can't make two /boot partitions. Also the /boot partition I made on the internal drive says that the bootable flag is off. Is that okay?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#50 Post by p.H »

You must not make two /boot partition (obviously impossible) but one EFI partition (use as: EFI boot) and one /boot partition (use as: ext4 and mount on: /boot) both on the internal storage.

The removable device path has nothing to do with the separate /boot partition. It is an option that is offered in expert mode during the installation of GRUB. It requires no extra space in the EFI partition if its size is at least 10 MB.

The /boot partition must not have the boot flag. With GPT, the boot flag is equal to the EFI system partition type.

pinkbeat

#51 Post by pinkbeat »

p.H wrote:You must not make two /boot partition (obviously impossible) but one EFI partition (use as: EFI boot) and one /boot partition (use as: ext4 and mount on: /boot) both on the internal storage.

The removable device path has nothing to do with the separate /boot partition. It is an option that is offered in expert mode during the installation of GRUB. It requires no extra space in the EFI partition if its size is at least 10 MB.

The /boot partition must not have the boot flag. With GPT, the boot flag is equal to the EFI system partition type.
Okay, so /boot, efi and /swap is what I have on the internal and /root and /home is what I have on the micro sd card. If that is all good and fine as far as correctly partioning...it failed on both the removable and internal to install grub dummy.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#52 Post by p.H »

pinkbeat wrote:it failed on both the removable and internal to install grub dummy.
This setup is not intended to fix the GRUB installation error. GRUB is actually installed but registering it in the EFI boot variable failed. Enabling the removable device path is intended as a workaround to the lack of the EFI boot variable.

Does the tablet boot with GRUB now ? If not, what does the EFI shell show ?

pinkbeat

#53 Post by pinkbeat »

p.H wrote:
pinkbeat wrote:it failed on both the removable and internal to install grub dummy.
This setup is not intended to fix the GRUB installation error. GRUB is actually installed but registering it in the EFI boot variable failed. Enabling the removable device path is intended as a workaround to the lack of the EFI boot variable.

Does the tablet boot with GRUB now ? If not, what does the EFI shell show ?
I'm at this step in the partitioning and got this error. Don't know what to do next.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190020956 ... ateposted/

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#54 Post by p.H »

Delete and re-create the EFI partition.

pinkbeat

#55 Post by pinkbeat »

p.H wrote:Delete and re-create the EFI partition.
I tried but keep getting the same error.

pinkbeat

#56 Post by pinkbeat »

I guess I've been abandonded. :(