Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Grub Fails to Install

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
pinkbeat

Grub Fails to Install

#1 Post by pinkbeat »

Hi, i'm absolutely new to Linux.
I have a WinBook TW700 tablet that was sold at Micro Center only several years back. It came with Windows 8.1 and I immediately upgraded to Windows 10. It is only a 16 GB tablet with 1GB ram and is 32 Bit UEFI. This is really limiting what I can install as far as a different OS. The latest Windows version of 20H2 is installed but if I let it install a cumulative update I will have mere MB left. So, I've been trying android OS's and Linux. This seems to be the only one that will work as far as x86 UEFI install. Everybody seems to be dropping off the x86 releases now.

So, I've tried installing the Debian version 10.8.0 i386 about 6 times now and every time it fails to install GRUB. Everything else seems to go okay. By, the way, I have it installed on the 64 GB micro SD Card since I figured the 16 GB internal memory would not be enough. But I've tried both ways and every time GRUB fails to install. There is a UEFI Partion so, what gives?

I've tried looking up what I can do but most forums and documentation is over my head and doesn't tell me how to get to things it talks about.

If someone could give me a step by step detailed instruction on how to fix the GRUB not installing I would be gratefull. I can get to shell through the recovery option. That's all I know how to get to right now.

Also, once I get grub installed and get going will this allow me to set up touch screen? Otherwise this is pointless but I still would like to fix GRUB install for learning purposes if I won't be able to do touch screen.

Thanks in advance for any help. Remember I am brand new at this.
Last edited by pinkbeat on 2021-03-08 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Grub Fails to Install

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Check TTY4 for the actual error messages when GRUB fails to install (use <ctrl>+<alt>+F4 to see that screen). I think there's also a log file but I don't know where it's kept, ask a search engine about that.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by p.H »

During installation, the log file is /var/log/syslog. After installation, it is available in /var/log/installer/.

pinkbeat

#4 Post by pinkbeat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Check TTY4 for the actual error messages when GRUB fails to install (use <ctrl>+<alt>+F4 to see that screen). I think there's also a log file but I don't know where it's kept, ask a search engine about that.
Hi, I don't know what TTY4 is or exactly when to use ctrl alt F4. Do you mean at the fail message I get during install?

pinkbeat

#5 Post by pinkbeat »

p.H wrote:During installation, the log file is /var/log/syslog. After installation, it is available in /var/log/installer/.
I don't know how to get to /var/log/syslog. Do I type that in at the shell screen? I think it has something to do with the partition for UEFI.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pinkbeat wrote:Do you mean at the fail message I get during install?
Yes.
deadbang

pinkbeat

#7 Post by pinkbeat »

Thanks head_on_a_ stick. I guess I will have to install for a 7th time. It takes a very, very long time. Taking a break from it today, though.

mm3100

#8 Post by mm3100 »

pinkbeat wrote:Hi, I don't know what TTY4 is or exactly when to use ctrl alt F4.
Once installer fails, press ctrl+alt+F4, that will open new terminal (TTY4), that you can use.
pinkbeat wrote:I don't know how to get to /var/log/syslog. Do I type that in at the shell screen?
Once in TTY4 type

Code: Select all

less /var/log/syslog
You will be able to move in the log using arrows. Using end on keyboard will get you to the end of the log. There you could find some clues as to what went wrong.

pinkbeat

#9 Post by pinkbeat »

Okay, it said executing 'grub-install dummy failed'
This is a fatal error.

pinkbeat

#10 Post by pinkbeat »

p.H wrote:During installation, the log file is /var/log/syslog. After installation, it is available in /var/log/installer/.
Okay, I tried both, /var/log/syslog says permission denied and /var/log/installer/ says not found.

pinkbeat

#11 Post by pinkbeat »

mm3100 wrote:
pinkbeat wrote:Hi, I don't know what TTY4 is or exactly when to use ctrl alt F4.
Once installer fails, press ctrl+alt+F4, that will open new terminal (TTY4), that you can use.
pinkbeat wrote:I don't know how to get to /var/log/syslog. Do I type that in at the shell screen?
Once in TTY4 type

less /var/log/syslog
You will be able to move in the log using arrows. Using end on keyboard will get you to the end of the log. There you could find some clues as to what went wrong.
Thank you mm3100. That was very helpful. I will post back. Doing the reinstall now.

pinkbeat

#12 Post by pinkbeat »

mm3100, I am at the screen during install that says the GRUB installation failed, the grub-efi-ia32 failed to install into /target/. Pressing control, alt, F4 isn't doing anything at all. at the very top it says Configuring shim-signed-common, above the red exclamation mark and the message.

all right, I skipped the function button and it came up. The /var/log/sys.... did nothing. Do I actually have to upload the image I took to a site to post it here?
Last edited by pinkbeat on 2021-03-06 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

TTY4 is the log screen, you won't be able to run commands from there. Use TTY3 instead if you want to read the actual log with the less command (so <ctrl>+<alt>+F3 from the graphical installer or just <alt>+F3 from the non-graphical installer).

I will take a wild stab in the dark and suppose that efivarfs isn't mounted so try this command from TTY3:

# mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
Then run the GRUB stage of the installer again.
deadbang

pinkbeat

#14 Post by pinkbeat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:TTY4 is the log screen, you won't be able to run commands from there. Use TTY3 instead if you want to read the actual log with the less command (so <ctrl>+<alt>+F3 from the graphical installer or just <alt>+F3 from the non-graphical installer).

I will take a wild stab in the dark and suppose that efivarfs isn't mounted so try this command from TTY3:

# mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
Then run the GRUB stage of the installer again.
Thanks for the steps. Much appreciated. I've uploaded the TTY4 Screen. Sorry, a bit blurry. Hope this gives info you need. If not, I'll do the F3 steps for you.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190020956 ... 548762188/

Fixed picture link from private to public. No sign up necessary.
Last edited by pinkbeat on 2021-03-07 05:31, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

#15 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I don't have permission to view that image and I refuse to sign up to "Flickr" (whatever the **** that is).
deadbang

pinkbeat

#16 Post by pinkbeat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I don't have permission to view that image and I refuse to sign up to "Flickr" (whatever the **** that is).
Sorry, it must be on the private setting. Let me fix that.
Last edited by pinkbeat on 2021-03-06 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

pinkbeat

#17 Post by pinkbeat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I don't have permission to view that image and I refuse to sign up to "Flickr" (whatever the **** that is).
Head_on_a_Stick you don't have to sign up, I had it on private instead of public. It's just a photo hosting site for photographer's. This should work now. Make sure to zoom in by click on the picture. It's a little blurry but you can read it when you zoom in.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190020956 ... 548762188/

Head_on_a_Stick

#18 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Check if eifvarfs and the EFI system partition are mounted:

grep efi /proc/self/mounts
If not then run my suggested command and go through the GRUB installation stage again.

We should probably also check if you confirmed the integrity of the ISO image and also how you transferred the image to the installation medium (see the Debian CD FAQ for the correct method). I don't think that's the problem here but it doesn't hurt to rule it out conclusively.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by p.H »

It seems that there are dependency issues with some shim-signed* packages, but the original error is missing.
In tty2 or tty3, use this command to display as much as possible :

grep in-target /var/log/syslog | tail -n 40

pinkbeat

#20 Post by pinkbeat »

p.H wrote:It seems that there are dependency issues with some shim-signed* packages, but the original error is missing.
In tty2 or tty3, use this command to display as much as possible :

grep in-target /var/log/syslog | tail -n 40
This is what I got in TTY 3. https://www.flickr.com/photos/190020956 ... 548762188/

after pressing enter for the last item it said -/bin/sh: less: not found.

All other commands in these posts did not do anything. I don't know how to exit the TTY 3 so I'm stuck at that screen right now. I tried the control + Alt + F7 but nothing.