Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Grub Fails to Install

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
pinkbeat

Re: Grub Fails to Install

#16 Post by pinkbeat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I don't have permission to view that image and I refuse to sign up to "Flickr" (whatever the **** that is).
Sorry, it must be on the private setting. Let me fix that.
Last edited by pinkbeat on 2021-03-06 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

pinkbeat

#17 Post by pinkbeat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I don't have permission to view that image and I refuse to sign up to "Flickr" (whatever the **** that is).
Head_on_a_Stick you don't have to sign up, I had it on private instead of public. It's just a photo hosting site for photographer's. This should work now. Make sure to zoom in by click on the picture. It's a little blurry but you can read it when you zoom in.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190020956 ... 548762188/

Head_on_a_Stick

#18 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Check if eifvarfs and the EFI system partition are mounted:

Code: Select all

grep efi /proc/self/mounts
If not then run my suggested command and go through the GRUB installation stage again.

We should probably also check if you confirmed the integrity of the ISO image and also how you transferred the image to the installation medium (see the Debian CD FAQ for the correct method). I don't think that's the problem here but it doesn't hurt to rule it out conclusively.
deadbang

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#19 Post by p.H »

It seems that there are dependency issues with some shim-signed* packages, but the original error is missing.
In tty2 or tty3, use this command to display as much as possible :

grep in-target /var/log/syslog | tail -n 40

pinkbeat

#20 Post by pinkbeat »

p.H wrote:It seems that there are dependency issues with some shim-signed* packages, but the original error is missing.
In tty2 or tty3, use this command to display as much as possible :

grep in-target /var/log/syslog | tail -n 40
This is what I got in TTY 3. https://www.flickr.com/photos/190020956 ... 548762188/

after pressing enter for the last item it said -/bin/sh: less: not found.

All other commands in these posts did not do anything. I don't know how to exit the TTY 3 so I'm stuck at that screen right now. I tried the control + Alt + F7 but nothing.

pinkbeat

#21 Post by pinkbeat »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Check if eifvarfs and the EFI system partition are mounted:

grep efi /proc/self/mounts
If not then run my suggested command and go through the GRUB installation stage again.

We should probably also check if you confirmed the integrity of the ISO image and also how you transferred the image to the installation medium (see the Debian CD FAQ for the correct method). I don't think that's the problem here but it doesn't hurt to rule it out conclusively.
I tried a netsh image and now on a cd image. Both were created on a San Disk Ultra usb thumbdrive using Rufus. i did not check the integrity of either though. Both had the same results.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by p.H »

pinkbeat wrote:This is what I got in TTY 3
I do not see the errors that were present in tty4 in the previous picture. No dependency error this time. What was wrong ?
pinkbeat wrote:after pressing enter for the last item it said -/bin/sh: less: not found.
I did not say to run this command. less is not available in the installer.

pinkbeat

#23 Post by pinkbeat »

p.H wrote:
I do not see the errors that were present in tty4 in the previous picture. No dependency error this time. What was wrong ?

Failed to install grub.
How do I get out of this TTY3 so I can finish the install?

pinkbeat

#24 Post by pinkbeat »

pinkbeat wrote:
p.H wrote:

Failed to install grub.
How do I get out of this TTY3 so I can finish the install?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#25 Post by p.H »

pinkbeat wrote:How do I get out of this TTY3 so I can finish the install?
Alt+F1 if you selected text install.
Alt+F5 if you selected graphical install.

pinkbeat

#26 Post by pinkbeat »

p.H wrote:
Thanks.

pinkbeat

#27 Post by pinkbeat »

pinkbeat wrote:
p.H wrote:
Okay, so I got out of there and finished the install without the boot loader.
I went into TTY4 before finishing the install. This is what it said:

This is the pic of what to do to boot into after install incase you need it. Don't know what to do with these instructions.

This is the screen it came to after installation reboot.

Waiting at last screen for what to do next...

pinkbeat

#28 Post by pinkbeat »

I might add that last time I got stuck at the TTY4 screen and did not know how to get out so I shut the tablet down. Didn't want to get burn in in the screen. So, i reinstalled again but instead of putting everything on the micro SD card I installed the efi and the root on the 16 GB internal drive thinking maybe it would be better if the efi partition was on the internal drive and put the /swap, /usr and /home partitions on the micro SD card. So, it's a fresh start but still grub failed to install. I would check the intergrety of the iso image but the thumb drive is still in that it's on and i'm at the last screen posted waiting to be told what to do. I guess I could actually check the iso that's still on the computer. I'll have to see If I can find info that is clear to me on how to do that.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Post by sunrat »

I just looked back at your first post. Tablet with 1GB RAM? (presumably, you wrote 1MB). Have you done any internet search for "linux your model tablet"? See if any results appear where anyone has done a successful install.
1GB is low for Debian and most Linux distros, 32 bit UEFI is a known PITA. You may be better installing a distro designed for low RAM such as the 32 bit version of AntiX. I have it installed on an ancient ASUS EeePC 900 which has 1GB RAM. It's pretty useless for web browsing now but plays music and videos reliably.
https://antixlinux.com/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pinkbeat

#30 Post by pinkbeat »

sunrat wrote:I just looked back at your first post. Tablet with 1GB RAM? (presumably, you wrote 1MB). Have you done any internet search for "linux your model tablet"? See if any results appear where anyone has done a successful install.
1GB is low for Debian and most Linux distros, 32 bit UEFI is a known PITA. You may be better installing a distro designed for low RAM such as the 32 bit version of AntiX. I have it installed on an ancient ASUS EeePC 900 which has 1GB RAM. It's pretty useless for web browsing now but plays music and videos reliably.
https://antixlinux.com/
Yes, I meant 1 GB Ram. it's all in the processor so not upgradable.
I read somewhere from several years back that someone had Ubuntu installed but that version is probably not available anymore. I tried previously installing Ubuntu and it installed but It had a 64 bit UEFI, it was the newest one too, that I didn't realize I used the wrong usb stick) and thus would not boot into it. Couldn't use the the 32 bit version either because it only had a choice of mbr. That 1GB ram is really limiting my options. So now I'm trying Debian. I did try the live boot of AntiX but it just went to a black screen after loading up.

Also, does it do touch screen on your tablet?
Last edited by pinkbeat on 2021-03-08 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#31 Post by p.H »

pinkbeat wrote:Okay, so I got out of there and finished the install without the boot loader.
I went into TTY4 before finishing the install. This is what it said:
Ok, the problem is clearly visible this time : "no space left on device" when trying to register the EFI boot variable for GRUB. The "device" is the embedded non-volatile memory (NVRAM) used to store EFI variables (not part of a mass storage device).
I know about one solution and two workarounds if the solution does not work.

Solution : delete log files in /sys/fs/pstore. The EFI variable backend for pstore has to be mounted, not sure that the installer mounts it.

Workaround 1 : boot with the kernel parameter "efi_no_storage_paranoia" to allow use of more than 50% of the available space. At your own risk :
Using this parameter you can use more than 50% of your efi variable storage. Use this parameter only if you are really sure that your UEFI does sane gc and fulfills the spec otherwise your board may brick.
Workaround 2 : install GRUB in the "removable device path" of the EFI partition, which does not require creating an EFI boot variable.
pinkbeat wrote:This is the screen it came to after installation reboot.
EFI shell. Interesting. Could be useful for workaround 2. The EFI shell syntax is close to DOS/Windows command.com/cmd.exe syntax. So you can browse the filesystem with dir and cd. You could try this first :

dir fs0:\
dir fs0:\EFI

pinkbeat

#32 Post by pinkbeat »

Sorry, I kept refreshing page two to check for responses. lol. Didn't realize it already started a third page.
Anyway, I guess I can go back to reinstalling everything on the micro sd card again and give you the screen shots when that fails and go from there. Okay?

pinkbeat

#33 Post by pinkbeat »

@p.H.
I've done the reinstall of the whole system to the 64GB Micro SD Card.

Grub Installation Fail Messages:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/190020956 ... 602063847/

TTY4 Info:

Message/Instructions for booting after Install:

After Install and rebooting EFI Shell Screen:

So, now tell me where to go and what to type in to fix this, if you would please. Thanks. Basically when I turn on the tablet it goes to the EFI Shell screen. Thanks again for helping me.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#34 Post by p.H »

Too bad you removed the previous picture showing the EFI shell (for comparison).
The EFI shell does not list fs0: any more. Maybe the firmware cannot boot from the SD card.
Also the "\" character looks weird, it is shorter than usual.

Can you boot a live system or the Debian installer in rescue mode ? In rescue mode, you can launch a shell in the installed system root.

pinkbeat

#35 Post by pinkbeat »

p.H wrote:Too bad you removed the previous picture showing the EFI shell (for comparison).
The EFI shell does not list fs0: any more. Maybe the firmware cannot boot from the SD card.
Also the "\" character looks weird, it is shorter than usual.

Can you boot a live system or the Debian installer in rescue mode ? In rescue mode, you can launch a shell in the installed system root.
I think this is the previous picture I deleted. Let me know if it's not.

I can boot a live Debian installer in rescue mode. But I don't know how to do what you said about launching a shell in the installed system root though. Could you tell me. Sorry, just very new to this. Know Windows very well and fix and build my own pc's but this is a new venture for me. I need baby instructions. Ha.

I noticed that too as far as the \. I don't know what that short backslash is about.