Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Removing Debian KDE Password Prompt for apps

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
m@x

Removing Debian KDE Password Prompt for apps

#1 Post by m@x »

Hello,

I am relatively new to Debian and was wondering if I could change some things that really annoy me. I am using Debian 10.8.0-amd64 with KDE. The problem here is, that when I start Partition Manager or Apper Settings the system asks me to enter the root password. When entering the root password, the whole login form (KDEsudo) freezes and the login attempt fails... The solution for this was to add my own username in the sudoers file and then I could enter my password in this window.

My question now is:
Is there a way to get rid of these Password Prompts when being logged in? I dont like it to enter my password everytime I want to start "Partitionmanager" or any other app that requires root privileges. I know that this comes at the cost of security. Or alternatively after entering the password once a timespan of 15 minutes, where you can open the app without the use of the password prompt.
And what is it with KDESudo? I have read that it is deprecated and should not be used, still a fresh installation of Debian contains it? Is there a secure way to remove it without damaging possible dependent applications?

Thanks,
Max

arid

Re: Removing Debian KDE Password Prompt for apps

#2 Post by arid »

Of course you can!

Don't need no stink'n typing passwords every time you turn around.

Especially that really annoying sudo. :mrgreen:

Just login as root and enjoy the full experience of Debian without interruption.
There's no drama in my sid......

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Passwords for admin privilege escalation are to help prevent you destroying your system. It's not like you need to do partitioning every day or manage packages when you're using Stable. Just put the password in. Forget Kdesudo, it died and won't be in the next release.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

I'm not so sure a password protects from stupidity when there is always a way...A root desktop however can result in erroneous actions when the cat walks on the keyboard.

Per action authority without a password is not as error prone as a root desktop. The idea of a password or not is not the same, you still need to click into the root enabled function and when done you're back to user rights. The password is optional.

It's a good evolution to not have every desktop variation with it's own method unique to itself. Sudo can do what you want without a password. pkexec can do just about everything sudo can do, also without a password. So my preferred answer is in creating the appropriate pkla rule file for pkexec. As far as I know this works for all desktop environment variations, including tty terminals without a desktop.

Search some older postings here, I've spelled it out before I think...maybe to some resistance by some who like typing passwords...My XFCE's has been passwordless local keyboard only authority for years.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Certainly there are ways to do it with sudo or PolicyKit. If you search my recent posts I give an example of a .pkla rule which allows mounting all local disks without password.
But this topic is in Beginners Questions... One needs to learn to walk before running.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

m@x

#6 Post by m@x »

Thank you for your advice and sorry for my late answer! I will try some of the given solutions while not damaging my system. All in all it wouldn´t be that big of a deal if I break my Debian, but I still would prefer this to not happen.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

m@x wrote:...I will try some of the given solutions while not damaging my system. All in all it wouldn´t be that big of a deal if I break my Debian, but I still would prefer this to not happen.
See my signature! :wink:
There are a number of ways to backup your system so you can recover when you break it. I currently use fsarchiver (command line only) to back up my whole system partition to an external drive as it's quite fast and simple compared with some other methods. Then I use rsync to back up just my data as well. A quick internet search should bring up a number of solutions. TimeShift or LuckyBackup seem to be popular among newer users as they have a GUI interface.
See here for a few ideas - https://www.tecmint.com/linux-system-backup-tools/
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

#8 Post by 010101 »

M@X, Some time has pass, and I don't know if I'm to late to save you from a life of hell, but here it goes.

One post suggested that you log in as root. In your OP you said that you were new to Linux. Operating daily task as root is a bad idea, even for seasoned Linux users. I strongly recommend you operate on a standard account.

One poster said (in so many words) that these programs with root privileges are so as not to f**k up you OS. He's right. If you are new to Linux, this is a good thing.

But if you are determine (and I strongly recommend that you don't) you can login as root, and then change the privileges to the program(s).