Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Questions about Firewalls and computer monitoring

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Marie SWE

Re: Questions about Firewalls and computer monitoring

#41 Post by Marie SWE »

CwF wrote:
Marie SWE wrote:win7 reached EOL2020.
You could learn how to virtualize a copy. Post Apocalyptic Freshness Guarantied! along with the Twinkies.
sunrat wrote:
steve_v wrote:Virtualbox is free, easy, and very functional.
And very much from a company in the same league as MS and Apple. KVM/QEMU is open source and better. It can be used with Virt-manager which is a decent GUI frontend.
I appreciate your suggestions :D :D :D
But I prefer bare metal installations for several reasons.
First one, I already have perfectly modified windows installations since several years back, with both recovery partition(F-key activated) and recovery image on my server with PXEboot. So starting from scratch with modifying a win-VM is just unnecessary wasted time. i have 2TB drives on two my laptops and my third laptop has 1TB+2TB so i have the space for bare metal installations.
Second, I only have 7.5GB of RAM in all my laptops (onboard graphics takes 512MB) so it is more efficient that each system can use 100% of my hardware to get maximum performance.
And lastly, it is safer with dualboot in case one system crashes, I can just boot into the other without having to tackle the problem right away. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

trinidad

#42 Post by trinidad »

A graphical user interface is to allow a computer user to run a process for some specific purpose utilizing the computer to handle the data in a fashion quicker than a pencil and paper and in some cases to operate machinery or other electronic devices predictably from underlying data collection and targeted dispersion. So called Windows system "admins" living in the GUI actually often get paid for utterly ineffective actions as if they are wizards just because they can point and click and install some software. In fact any Linux workstation deployed on a Windows Active Directory Network is a security risk to that network. People assimilate how to use a remote control the same way many so called Windows system "admins" learned. Yippee skippee.

A CLI is a GUI, at least to a sysadmin. Try below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... e-keyboard

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

Marie SWE

#43 Post by Marie SWE »

steve_v wrote:
Marie SWE wrote:apple is 2degrees better than microsoft
I disagree, IMO Apple are a bunch of assholes, and every bit as bad as Microsoft. They go out of their way to make their hardware unrepairable and independent repair businesses unsustainable, they lock their users into incompatible walled-gardens, and they screw independent developers with insane app-store fees. Once, they were a company I could respect as a true alternative to the IBM-compatible PC. Not any more.
Frankly I'm not at all convinced the "Apple cares about your privacy" rhetoric is anything but marketing bluster either.
I meant on a scale 0-1000 degrees apple is 2 degrees better than MS Yes they both collect waaaay too much data and are shady ones.
But apple is harder to get data out from than MS. MS do share data quite easily.. apple almost doesn't do it even if you take them to court.. that is the tiny,tiny,tiny,tiny 2degrees better factor of hell.
Marie SWE wrote:I have notice just only since 2018 some things actually has become easier. so on 20years.. probably extremely easier.
In many ways, absolutely. In others... suffice to say with easy GUIs comes more complicated plumbing behind the scenes. Getting your head around how the OS really works is harder than it used to be, and like a modern car with the engine buried under a bunch of pretty bits of plastic, I find the shiny facade often gets in the way. I'll stick with my '72 Landy any day, it might be a bucket o' bolts, but I know exactly how everything works.
I can fully understand that.. When you know a system from the ground up and things change and become more complicated, it becomes more difficult when you are used to the basic code concept. win3.11 around 20MB win7 around 40GB :lol: :lol: :lol:
New cars are sick. just to change a light bulb you need a computer to tell the car that now I have changed the light bulb, so turn off the error code and activate the new light so that it starts to light up please.

Marie SWE wrote:Okay I only need to use windows or MSoffice when some one sends some excel document that libre/open/free office can't read correctly. so i am pretty free from microsofts claws.
Virtualbox is free, easy, and very functional.

Whenever somebody sends me something in an MS-only format, I will gleefully return it in a Linux-only one. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: hahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't be that evil, even if i wish to be... It is mostly companies and agencies that are so evil that they send those M$excel sheets to me.. so I must be nice to them for my own good. :roll: :lol:
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)

Marie SWE

#44 Post by Marie SWE »

trinidad wrote:A graphical user interface is to allow a computer user to run a process for some specific purpose utilizing the computer to handle the data in a fashion quicker than a pencil and paper and in some cases to operate machinery or other electronic devices predictably from underlying data collection and targeted dispersion. So called Windows system "admins" living in the GUI actually often get paid for utterly ineffective actions as if they are wizards just because they can point and click and install some software. In fact any Linux workstation deployed on a Windows Active Directory Network is a security risk to that network. People assimilate how to use a remote control the same way many so called Windows system "admins" learned. Yippee skippee.

A CLI is a GUI, at least to a sysadmin. Try below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... e-keyboard

TC
:?: :| :?:
I dont't get your point? what has this to do with GUI firewall and GUI system-monitoring?