Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bluetooth Audio Stutter / Skipping

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
methuen

Bluetooth Audio Stutter / Skipping

#1 Post by methuen »

Hi - new convert - very much enjoying Debian vs. High Sierra (and fantastically impressed that everything just works, including the VM client I need for work).

One thing I've hit a wall with is bluetooth audio streaming. I use some standard speakers and the built-in Apple hardware, so nothing exotic or too clever on the physical side.

Question (I've added all of the context, TLDR - nothing works so far, and I've got some conflicting status outputs so have hit a wall) - what should I try next in my quest to get bluetooth audio up & running ?

The issue -
I turn on bluetooth via the UI tool in Gnome (nothing extra installed)
I pair the speakers in the normal manner
I put on a song via Lollypop (I've tried Gnome music also, same result)
The music skips / stutters as if it was a badly damaged vinyl record.
This cleans up for brief stretches, but always returns to skipping / stuttering.

Context -

The same speakers via bluetooth work totally fine under MacOS, even when using the wifi.

My understanding / attempts to resolve -

My understanding is that it's a buffering problem under Linux - I've searched & found this problem reported for Ubuntu / Arch / Debian on other sites.
I've read / installed the packaged from https://wiki.debian.org/BluetoothUser/a2dp
I initially tried simply changing the latency via the slider in PAVUControl - no difference made there
I've tried turning off the wifi - no difference made there
Finally I had a go with an old solution I remembered from breaking-laptops-in-fedora days - this also made no difference, and I've reverted it so that it's not hanging around waiting to cause a conflict.
echo "options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
Help pages got me to trying via rfkill,however the outputs conflict; rfkill doesn't think it's blocking anything, but the status output thinks that something is being blocked.
root@Methuen:/home/methuen# sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth status
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2021-04-09 07:49:20 BST; 42min ago
Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
Main PID: 538 (bluetoothd)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
Memory: 3.4M
CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
└─538 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Apr 09 07:49:22 Methuen bluetoothd[538]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.77 path=/MediaEndpo…PSink
Apr 09 07:49:22 Methuen bluetoothd[538]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Apr 09 07:49:34 Methuen bluetoothd[538]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.299 path=/MediaEndp…ource
Apr 09 07:49:34 Methuen bluetoothd[538]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.299 path=/MediaEndp…PSink
Apr 09 07:49:34 Methuen bluetoothd[538]: RFCOMM server failed for Headset Voice gateway: rf… (98)
Apr 09 07:49:34 Methuen bluetoothd[538]: RFCOMM server failed for :1.299/Profile/HSPHSProfi… (98)
Apr 09 07:49:35 Methuen bluetoothd[538]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Apr 09 07:49:54 Methuen bluetoothd[538]: Endpoint unregistered: sender=:1.77 path=/MediaEnd…ource
Apr 09 07:49:54 Methuen bluetoothd[538]: Endpoint unregistered: sender=:1.77 path=/MediaEnd…PSink
Apr 09 07:50:02 Methuen bluetoothd[538]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
root@Methuen:/home/methuen# sudo rfkill list
0: hci0: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wir ... 51520.html - similar question from 2016, so I'm not alone at least.