Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

x-windows or xorg?? Where is my mistake??

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bafman

Re: x-windows or xorg?? Where is my mistake??

#16 Post by bafman »

Hi
First of all that you very much all for your time and useful posts.
As i mentioned i am new to the forum and Linux as well. I was using one year the Ubuntu OS but for a normal home use and i never thought getting in the black screen and working form the terminal.

Well i had the chance to do it now with the server my friend gave me. I discovered lot and learned many commands and this is the way i will continue doing. Linux are powerful. Now I feel that everything can be controlled from the terminal itself if you know what you are doing.

So far i did not understand the idea of stable and unstable system. As a matter of fact after i installed the xorg the server stopped providing service to the client pcs but this is not the issue anymore. I am trying to collect every information i can from the PC, I will try to learn better Debian distro, format the PC and start all over again to make the PC as we want it.

Nadir is right “you seem to tend to search for difficult solutions instead of easy ones”
Otherwise I am not going to learn. This is the way I feel.

Once again thank you very much for your help

Absent Minded

#17 Post by Absent Minded »

sysinfo is a good tool for this also you can install the GUI tool called hardinfo which is another good tool.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

smallchange

#18 Post by smallchange »

jheaton5 wrote:
smallchange wrote:
craigevil wrote:Why are you running unstable on a server to begin with?

I love sid and its the only debian I have ever ran, but most people use stable for servers.
These statements are so general as to be meaningless. What is a server? Almost every machine I run acts as a server in at least one respect. There are many cases in which you may run a machine strictly to act as a server of one thing or another and use unstable to use newer features. To take someone to task over this is ignorant and not very welcoming or useful to new users.
In this context, server referrs to a machine that provides services to multiple client machines. I agree with craigevil: Don't use anything but stable for a server.
Since it serves multiple client machines it should run stable? What if those clients are mounting Samba shares and need a version of samba that is newer than the version in stable? What if he is running a game server with a game engine that requires newer version of libraries or kernel than are available in stable? What is the benefit of using stable on a server? I assume you are thinking of a server needing to be available 24/7 and not needing recent versions of any particular software. Does this user intend to make his server available 24/7? It makes no sense to give advice when you know nothing about the intended use of the machine. It certainly makes no sense to set some kind of "holy grail" of "use stable on a server" and chastise people for not following it. Servers have different uses and require different software. What is installed should be chosen to meet the need.

sir fer

#19 Post by sir fer »

Good points above. This laptop i'm using is also my webserver and I am running testing.

IMO people refer to servers when they mean dedicated hardware - i.e. computers that do not much else all day or a machine that is specifically built to be a server with ECC in the CPU & RAM etc etc

jheaton5

#20 Post by jheaton5 »

smallchange wrote:Since it serves multiple client machines it should run stable? What if those clients are mounting Samba shares and need a version of samba that is newer than the version in stable? What if he is running a game server with a game engine that requires newer version of libraries or kernel than are available in stable? What is the benefit of using stable on a server? I assume you are thinking of a server needing to be available 24/7 and not needing recent versions of any particular software. Does this user intend to make his server available 24/7? It makes no sense to give advice when you know nothing about the intended use of the machine. It certainly makes no sense to set some kind of "holy grail" of "use stable on a server" and chastise people for not following it. Servers have different uses and require different software. What is installed should be chosen to meet the need.
Would you like some of my medication? I could email them to you. :roll:
debian sid

smallchange

#21 Post by smallchange »

jheaton5 wrote:Would you like some of my medication? I could email them to you. :roll:
You have medication that makes you not realize that gross oversimplification often leads to simply wrong answers? I think I did enough of those in my youth, so I will pass now. :)

jheaton5

#22 Post by jheaton5 »

Deleted by jheaton5.
debian sid

nadir

#23 Post by nadir »

You have medication that makes you not realize that gross oversimplification often leads to simply wrong answers?
here it is
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

jheaton5

#24 Post by jheaton5 »

nadir wrote:
You have medication that makes you not realize that gross oversimplification often leads to simply wrong answers?
here it is
Good response, thank you.
debian sid