Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Virtualbox will not install Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
jocke

Virtualbox will not install Debian

#1 Post by jocke »

I am trying to install Debian 5 (have tried 5.0, 5.02, 5.03) in virtualbox in Windows

Everything is OK until "Select and install software" then the installation freeze,
and also my laptop (that I use) so I have to ctrl_alt+del to start Task manager to close virtualbox.

I have tried to install 4 times now.

I have done this for see if this was the problem:

Use a network mirror: No
or
Use a network mirror: Yes

But it doesn`t help.

NEED HELP

Pick2

Re: Virtualbox will not install Debian

#2 Post by Pick2 »

Try re-burning the cd using a slower speed. It sounds like a bad burn.

jocke

#3 Post by jocke »

I have the iso file on my computer

craigevil

#4 Post by craigevil »

If virtualbox is freezing so that you have to kill it with the windows task manager, then I am guessing the problem is with virtualbox and not with the debian iso.

Have you tried other distros with it?
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

memilanuk

#5 Post by memilanuk »

I have Debian 5.03 'Lenny' installed in Virtualbox 3.0.12 (running on a Windows Vista host); actually its from the LXDE+XFCE install CD. Of all the operating systems I've installed on Virtualbox (Fedora 12, CentOS 5.4, openSuSE 11.2, Ubuntu 8.04-9.10, FreeBSD 8.0, plus Debian Lenny), I'd have to say that the Debian install was the smoothest, quickest, and least painful (CentOS was probably next). It supports both full-screen and seamless modes flawlessly. Almost makes up for the 'iceweasel' browser I'm typing this in... ;)

Flash Koti

#6 Post by Flash Koti »

Hi,

Try to install another distrib, so you will know if debian'iso act bad or if it's windows/virtualbox.
Of course test a distrib that work with virtualbox, I can't tell one because I use only Debian distrib (or utility iso like PING is not partimage).

I have virtualbox-3.0.8 on a windows XP for test purpose, Debian guests were installed without problem, perhaps the 3.0.12 is buggy. Was it stable when you pickup it ?

I update my Virtualbox 3.0.8 to 3.1.0, to test if Debian iso work with 3.1.0 and to have the last version.

So with 3.1.0, I create a test guest without floppydisk, sound and with 256Mo ram (host's 1Go) , 8Go hdd and all default otherwise.

I use Debian-500-netinstall iso to launch the guest, install (no "graphical" install).

It take sometime to pass the net time config (time to have the time out because my proxy don't authorize default ntp server).

Partition was done with default choice whole disk and newbie config (as it's just a test, I don't spend time on this).

Mirror randomly pickup with proxy use.

It take sometime to build init-ramfs (trigger).
I deselect all choice for pakage installation according to usage of system (so I have the bare minimum and choose what I want after install).

Grub in mbr as it the only sys on this guest.

Iso removed, reboot et voilà.

Because of the update during install (a new thing cool thing with Lenny), the test guest have two kernel (the one of iso and the one of update, an aptitude purge on the old fix this quickly).

The Host is dual proc at 2,8Ghz, Windows XP Pro 32bits sp3 (praticaly full patch at worst one month missing).

So if you experience problem with 3.1.0 too try to see what differ from my host/guest system, maybe we will figure out what is wrong.

++
Flash Koti