Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Email setup

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Giggy

Email setup

#1 Post by Giggy »

I am a Linux newbie, but I have got my iBook running perfect on Lenny. Except no Emailer. I can't get out even if I go to gmail, but I can read incoming mail in gmail. I'd like to set up Mutt because of the great little word processor. I haven't got much memory, so don't tell me to download postfix and emacs and squirrelmail and half a dozen other programs, which are BIG, including spamassassin. The disk space ain't there. There must be some simple way to get my mail either from gmail or @myname.com and use Mutt (Nano) as the word processor.

Telemachus

Re: Email setup

#2 Post by Telemachus »

You can use a light-weight smtp program (like msmtp or esmtp or ssmtp), and there are good instructions for setting up Vim and Gmail here: http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html

Setting up Mutt fully (especially for the first time) is likely to take 30 minutes to an hour. (More if you get into heavy tweaking), and the Gmail thing took me about 20 minutes the one time I tried it. It's not terrifically difficult, but it's not nothing.

If you are new to Mutt, I highly recommend this site: http://mutt.blackfish.org.uk/
"We have not been faced with the need to satisfy someone else's requirements, and for this freedom we are grateful."
Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, The UNIX Time-Sharing System

craigevil

#3 Post by craigevil »

Using Gmail with mutt, the minimal way (IMAP update) « The Lumber Room - http://shreevatsa.wordpress.com/2007/07 ... nimal-way/
As Gmail has IMAP access, it is fairly trivial to get it working with mutt. First, if you’re on Ubuntu/Debian, run sudo apt-get install openssl mutt to get mutt if you don’t already have it. Then, just put the following lines into your ~/.muttrc:

set imap_user = "username@gmail.com"
set imap_pass = "password"

set smtp_url = "smtp://username@smtp.gmail.com:587/"
set smtp_pass = "password"
set from = "username@gmail.com"
set realname = "Your Real Name"

set folder = "imaps://imap.gmail.com:993"
set spoolfile = "+INBOX"
set postponed="+[Gmail]/Drafts"

set header_cache=~/.mutt/cache/headers
set message_cachedir=~/.mutt/cache/bodies
set certificate_file=~/.mutt/certificates

set move = no

Make sure your ~/.muttrc isn’t world-readable; it contains your password. (Alternatively, you can leave them out and mutt will prompt you for the password each time.) Also, if you copy-paste from the above, make sure that you have only “normal” quotes, not “smart quotes” which WordPress might have inserted here into this post.

[Other things I have:

set sort = 'threads'
set sort_aux = 'last-date-received'
set imap_check_subscribed

ignore "Authentication-Results:"
ignore "DomainKey-Signature:"
ignore "DKIM-Signature:"
hdr_order Date From To Cc

I did not include above to justify the "minimal" :)]
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Giggy

#4 Post by Giggy »

Thanks Telemachus and Craigevil. I got my ~/.muttrc going. Now I can get incoming from gmail. But I still can't send. Mutt gives me the message "no authenticators available". I checked to see if Mutt knew where /usr/sbin/sendmail was. It did. But when I opened up /usr/sbin/sendmail to look at it, it was all unreadable, to me, garbage or whatever. I don't know what it is. Should I download mutt again? or Sendmail? or what?