Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

System freezes with caps lock lights blinking..

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
jaeezzy

System freezes with caps lock lights blinking..

#1 Post by jaeezzy »

Hi,
I've been using debian for about a year now, but its been couple months that my system is freezing and the caps lock light and the other scroll lock light blinks together and I have to force shutdown. I'm using:

Dell Inspiron 1420, Intel centrino duo (1.5 GHz), 2GB RAM
Windows Vista as my other OS
Debian (lenny).

I'm sure its got to do with Debian coz when using Vista it never happens. Hopefully its a right place to ask, if not plz move it to the correct thread and I would be very grateful for any sort of help/suggestions coz its really driving me crazy. Thanks

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: System freezes with caps lock lights blinking..

#2 Post by mzilikazi »

This is a kernel panic. If you can get the terminal to come alive you may see a message like Aieee! or Oops.

Have a look in /var/log, specifically @

Code: Select all

/var/log/messages
and/or

Code: Select all

/var/log/kernel.log
Does it happen when you're doing anything specific? Any particular application causing it perhaps?
Could also be a hardware issue.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

llivv

#3 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-17 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

jaeezzy

Re: System freezes with caps lock lights blinking..

#4 Post by jaeezzy »

Thanks guys for the reply. No, it doesn't happen only while doing certain thing. I'll download the kerneloops. Btw, when it happens, I can't do anything coz nothing works except the power button. Even if I close the lid nothing happens coz normally I've set it to shutdown the system. As, I couldn't find anything useful out of the log files you told as I don't know what to look for either, I've uploaded the messages, and kern.log. Thanks
Attachments
messages.tar
/var/log/messages
(240 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
kern.tar
/var/log/kern.log
(230 KiB) Downloaded 580 times