Newbe mostly familiar with Fedora

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Re: Newbe mostly familiar with Fedora

Postby milomak » 2009-12-15 18:57

the way debian is setup is such that any package you install from the official repos will have its dependencies within the official repos, So if you are running stable, you should not run into dependency issues.
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Y700 [nVidia Optimus] (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Debian Sid
milomak

Postby Steelaworkn » 2009-12-15 19:07

So, I installed cups but my printer is not on the list. Now I am install hplip. Ummm, hplip is not in the Debian repos is it? I know it's in the Fedora Repos. Anyways, it's installing fine with no hick-ups. Oh, and I install VB Guest Additions. There's a lot let to do in Debian than in Fedora for that set up.

Right now I am setting up the VB Debian. When I get it right, I set up my Asus. I'm really wanting a Web Server/Desktop, that's why I'm using the old Asus. I'm still learning. I love Fedora, but Debian is the only Linux I could get on that old Asus asside from Puppy. I tried 3 different versions of Fedora 12, Puppy, Open Solaris (which went on just fine but was really slow), and then Debian. Debian was loaded fine, edited the master boot record, and allows me to dual boot. The only issue, as you know, was the deb files were screwed up.

Any ways. Hplip is still loading on DebianVB. We'll see how that goes.
Dual Booting Lenny/XP HE on an old PIII Asus Board with an Nvidia 256 meg card, .5 gigs of ram, 800mhz processor and an Hp Officejet Pro L7580 all wired to a wireless network hub,
Steelaworkn

Postby milomak » 2009-12-15 19:18

hplip is avialable in lenny. The below shows that v2.8.6 is available. Should be installable with aptitude install hplip.
Code: Select all
$ apt-cache policy hplip
hplip:
<snip>
     2.8.6.b-4 0
        500 http://debian.mirror.ac.za lenny/main Packages
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Y700 [nVidia Optimus] (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Debian Sid
milomak

Postby Steelaworkn » 2009-12-15 21:03

Ok, thanks. I ended up having to reinstall Debian in VB. I installed Hplip and all the files went right to the desktop. Any way, I reinstalled Lenny, follow the instructions and did aptitude install hplip. Seems to be working. We'll see if it can detect my printer.
Dual Booting Lenny/XP HE on an old PIII Asus Board with an Nvidia 256 meg card, .5 gigs of ram, 800mhz processor and an Hp Officejet Pro L7580 all wired to a wireless network hub,
Steelaworkn

Postby mdevour » 2009-12-16 00:40

Great going, Jeff. I'm glad you've had a chance to see Debian package management doing what it's supposed to. Now...

Steelaworkn wrote:Right now I have Debian on Virtual Box.
Everything installed right away, but it is reacting the same way physical machine is.
Both Debian 5 systems are using the KDE desktop environment. Both are having the same issues as far as packaging.

This is really weird. Is it possible there's a bug in the installer that's leaving sources.list broken? That would be really strange at this point, given Lenny was released months ago. :shock:

Who's really snappy with the Debian Bug Tracking System? Wanna do a search? :D

You downloaded the Lenny w/KDE ia386 binary CD1 iso and burned it, right? I wonder if others can duplicate the problem.

Steelaworkn wrote:By the way, is that the best method to tell the system what packages to pull from?

The Debian project maintains repositories that contain everything that is part of Debian. In fact, they have a full set of repositories for each of several versions of Debian: Experimental (not a complete distro), Unstable (named Sid), Testing (named Squeeze), Stable (Lenny), and Oldstable (Etch). They also have servers from which you can download the many different versions of the installation disk iso's.

All or most of the above are duplicated over a hundred times by mirror sites around the world. You might say Debian is prepared to survive Armageddon. :twisted:

There are several different front-ends to the packaging system, but every one of them works with libapt on the back-end, and libapt depends on this sources.list file being right. Editing it by hand is one way to maintain it, and pretty bullet-proof.

In the Gnome desktop (which I use), there is a Software Sources applet in the System>Adminstration menu which lets you make and modify your mirror and repository selections. Synaptic is a complete GUI based package manager (a front-end to libapt, again) that also lets you manage software sources. I'm not KDE-fluent, but I'm under the impressions there's something called kpackage that's part of kdeutils that also provides a graphical front end to package management and software source configuration.

So, in short, there are several different ways to manage your sources.list. Hand editing is the least-common-denominator approach that will work when nothing else does. Some folks find it faster and more certain than dealing with a GUI. I've done it both ways; edit with nano, and both Synaptic and Gnome's GUI widgets.

It seems like, unless we're able to fix the problem, you're going to have to do your install and then fix sources.list before you can do your initial updates and start installing things. That's not really all that bad, since tweaking sources.list right after install is a pretty routine thing to do. I usually do the vanilla install, then add backports and multimedia repos, and that's it until I'm ready to upgrade to the next release! You're just doing a little more than you should have to. :roll:

Anyway, it sounds like your Fedora experience has made you comfortable with a lot of what needs to get done. The most confusing thing will be recognizing when those skills are going to screw things up because Debian is different! :mrgreen:

Let us know what happens next! Good luck...

Mike D.
mdevour

Postby Steelaworkn » 2009-12-16 00:58

Well, the thing about Fedora is that it is bleeding edge. Fedora 12 is really nice. It is stable once you work throught the nvidia problems. Sometimes their repo mirrors are down. That doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.

Fedora is pretty flashy also. The desktop really nice. Graphics are really nice. But, it is just do fancy for this old Asus System. Less is better for this one.

I need to get a locked file of my desktop. The HPLIP icon which links to the download files is locked onto my desktop. I've tried to remove in from the command line as root but not sure. I did "su aptitude remove hplip..." It wouldn't do it. I also tried apt-get remove but no luck. I even logged out and logged into command line outside of KDE environment and tried but could not.

So, is there a way to remove this? It is the only icon on the desktop that has a padlock image on it.

Edit Update: Never mind. I just did a fresh install. That way I get everything off and have solid foundation to build from. But, I hope to later be able to jump in there and slice stuff out and splice stuff back in. :D
Steelaworkn

Postby jheaton5 » 2009-12-16 17:11

What a great success story.
debian sid
jheaton5

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions