Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB mic. device (webcam) takes default audio device.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Jambones

USB mic. device (webcam) takes default audio device.

#1 Post by Jambones »

Hello everyone,

I've been using Debian Stable (Lenny, 5.0.3 as of writing,) for a while now and everything seems to be working a treat. But I have a niggling issue with a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 that follows me whatever distribution I use: Sometimes, seemingly randomly, the system will take the webcam's microphone as the default audio output device.

It wouldn't be so bad, but the whole family use the computer and often times I am called into action to 'fix the sound.' The sound works, it's just bumped to device 1 instead of device 0 it should take.

Any help is appreciated. I am afraid my knowledge of running Linux, modules, etc is limit, so please forgive me. :oops: Is there a proper way to diagnose the problem, and fix it? I've Googled a lot, many have the same problem, but I haven't seen the solution yet.

Thanks for any help or advice you may have.

EDIT: Should have mentioned I am running 64 bit as well, but the issue seems to be unrelated to architecture.
Last edited by Jambones on 2009-12-17 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

smallchange

Re: USB device (webcam) takes default audio device.

#2 Post by smallchange »

You can probably fix this by using line like this in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf.
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd cards_limit=3
#options snd slots=snd-intel8x0,snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1,2 vid=0x0d8c,0x046d pid=0x000c,0x09a2
They will need to be adjusted for your hardware. You can find out about your hardware and the drivers (kernel modules) using commands lspci, aplay -l, and lsmod.

Jambones

Re: USB device (webcam) takes default audio device.

#3 Post by Jambones »

Thanks for the reply. I appended what seemed to be the appropriate module to your example, snd_hda_intel, and commented out the line containing 'vid' as I didn't understand it completely. I went ahead and restarted about 9 or 10 times and so far no shenanigans from the USB device.

Contents of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:
alias snd-card-0 snd_hda_intel
alias snd-card-1 snd_usb_audio
options snd cards_limit=3
#options snd slots=snd_hda_intel,snd_usb_audio
# options snd-usb-audio index=1,2 vid=0x0d8c,0x046d pid=0x000c,0x09a2
Just in case the next time I restart if continues to taunt me,could you explain a little about the 'snd slots,' pid, and vid entires? Presumably that is the actual address of the device, or some such.

Again, pardon my inexperience.

smallchange

Re: USB mic. device (webcam) takes default audio device.

#4 Post by smallchange »

I will try but my knowledge is skimpy. I think I got this here http://wiki.debian.org/ALSA and in /usr/share/doc/alsa-base. For some reason in the alias statement I think - is used instead of _. snd_slots is used to give an order to cards and I don't remember how it differs from card-0 and card-1. It is also from ALSA version older than the one in sid, where index has been introduced. I don't know about the Lenny version. The index line is for ordering 2 devices that use the same driver. In my case that is a USB headset and a USB webcam with microphone. The vendor id (vid) and pid are found with lsusb. I don't remember what pid stands for but here is the lsusb entry for my webcam so you can compare it to the line.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:09a2 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Communicate Deluxe/S7500
You can see that lsusb shows vid:pid and both are ordered second in the index line. I wish I could give a better explanation, but maybe someone else will jump in here and enlighten us both.

Jambones

#5 Post by Jambones »

Just read the Debian wiki Alsa page you linked to; looks like the troubleshooting section has what I need, and hopefully it is still valid for Lenny:
There are two ways to fix this problem.

1. Force the cards to load in a different order. I chose this route, and added the following to my /etc/modprobe.d/sound:

options snd-trident index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1

This forces my Trident card to be the default (card 0) and my USB microphone to be card 1.

2. Change the default card by editing /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc . More info on this Alsa
I guess we'll see if this works in time. It's just rather bothersome that it's not consistent in when it decides to choose the mic. over the soundcard.

Yasser

#6 Post by Yasser »

Jambones wrote:
I've been using Debian Stable (Lenny, 5.0.3 as of writing,) for a while now and everything seems to be working a treat. But I have a niggling issue with a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 that follows me whatever distribution I use: Sometimes, seemingly randomly, the system will take the webcam's microphone as the default audio output device.
Change the default card by editing /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc
Procrastinating...

aspnair

#7 Post by aspnair »

I had a similar problem once. USB capture device (snd_usb_audio) was getting initalized before my main sound card (snd_hda_intel). I fixed that by always loading snd_hda_intel before snd_usb_audio module

/etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf

Code: Select all

install snd_usb_audio /sbin/modprobe --use-blacklist snd_hda_intel; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd_usb_audio $CMDLINE_OPTS
Compressed Air Energy Storage, Entropy and Efficiency
http://saurorja.org/2012/06/18/compress ... fficiency/