Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

how to install adobe flash player

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
shadowking

Re: how to install adobe flash player

#21 Post by shadowking »

refracta wrote:
Steelaworkn wrote:My humble understanding is that the backports are unstable.
backports are certainly preferred to downloading some random deb and hammering it in...and stable backports are made for debian stable...although they may have had less testing for issues they certainly have had more testing than a deb you download for ubuntu...

flash is non-free software anyway so nobody can really vouch for the quality or stability anyway...except adobe...yea right.... :wink:

This is not exactly right. the free implementations suck much more . You can ascertain quality or get an impression of just by running any non-free software no less than free software. Most linux users run the plugin so issues / stability is known.

nadir

#22 Post by nadir »

which part of the word "vouch" was hard to understand?
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

nadir

#23 Post by nadir »

btw:
this is the beginners-section of the board forums.debian.net. the people are running debian gnu/linux, a free OS.
please respect it in this part of the forum and promote whatever you want in one of the other sections.

this place should be kept for beginners looking for help. we might have fun in the other sections. imo.

thanks for that.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Absent Minded

#24 Post by Absent Minded »

nadir wrote:btw:
this is the beginners-section of the board forums.debian.net. the people are running debian gnu/linux, a free OS.
please respect it in this part of the forum and promote whatever you want in one of the other sections.

this place should be kept for beginners looking for help. we might have fun in the other sections. imo.

thanks for that.
I think that was very well stated ! Thank you everyone for your consideration of our people new to Debian, the forum and maybe even Linux it's self.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Steelaworkn

#25 Post by Steelaworkn »

Ok, I installed the flash player from the Adobe web-site...the one from ported for Unbuntu...it worked fine but...

then I removed it and installed the one from backports...this one works better with great audio and video sync.

Good stuff.

cnoyes

#26 Post by cnoyes »

Whenever possible(and from my Debian experience it always is) never ever ever use Ubuntu debs on your Debian system. As stated before, they won't update when your system does, and as a result, they'll eventually break whatever portion of your OS they interface. Also, I'm sure you've heard before, Ubuntu and Debian are NOT binary compatible. The dependencies are going to be staggering, and when the word "hammering" was used earlier on in this thread, it was actually a very good choice of word, because you're essentially trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole. Step one in being a new Debian user is trusting that Debian, it's developers, and it's users at all levels, have your best interests at heart, and will provide what you're looking for, even if not in the form you're expecting. Giving anyone advice to install an Ubuntu .deb on a Debian system is just downright reckless, the more garbage someone plugs into their OS, the harder it's going to be for the rest of us to help that person troubleshoot their issues, so you're doing them a great dis-service.

~Chris
=================
chris@suxbox.org
Debian Sid
=================