Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ensuring Iceweasel updated on Lenny

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
secdroid

Ensuring Iceweasel updated on Lenny

#1 Post by secdroid »

Debian newbie, but fairly experienced Linux user.

I'm used to checking the Firefox version with the Help/About. If I read the mozilla pages correctly, Firefox 3.0 is currently at 3.0.16. When I check Help/About on Iceweasel, I get 3.0.6.

When I looked at http://packages.debian.org/lenny/iceweasel, it appears that 3.0.6-3 is current.

Running the command,

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy
shows that my Installed is the same as Candidate for both Iceweasel and xulrunner --

Code: Select all

xulrunner-1.9:
  Installed: 1.9.0.16-1
iceweasel:
  Installed: 3.0.6-3
Therefore, I'm up-to-date per the Lenny repository, but I'm still confused about how I can verify that Iceweasel has security patches applied to make it current with the Firefox patches.

The Iceweasel changelog shows September 09 as the most recent update. In reading the forums, I found that security updates are usually done in xulrunner. The xulrunner-1.9 changelog link (http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/p ... /changelog on page http://packages.debian.org/lenny/xulrunner-1.9) gives a 404 error.

Sorry if I missed something obvious here. Happy to RTFA if someone can give me a pointer. :?

As an ex-Ubuntu 9.04 user, I have to say that I'm delighted to have switched. I find Lenny to be fast, stable, and completely configurable to my preferences. I just have to learn more about the "Debian way."

bluesdog

Re: Ensuring Iceweasel updated on Lenny

#2 Post by bluesdog »

I'd guess the changelog page is down. Try again in a couple of days.
Tips & Tricks

Something more to read while waiting

If you obviously have not read THIS, don't expect too much...

*winter bluesdog....*

craigevil

#3 Post by craigevil »

Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

bluesdog

#4 Post by bluesdog »

craigevil, your link seems to 404 here! :lol:
Tips & Tricks

Something more to read while waiting

If you obviously have not read THIS, don't expect too much...

*winter bluesdog....*