Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trying to make the switch, need newb explanations

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Steelaworkn

Re: Trying to make the switch, need newb explanations

#16 Post by Steelaworkn »

Cnoyes, you really do need to lighten up. I am saying the following stuff for constructive purposes because I think you have a lot to offer here.

Debian is a "read a lot" distribution. Just say so. If you know how to do something, please share it. If you don't then be really nice about it, and just point people where to read. The beginners section actually requires people who can give step by step instuctions. So, how does a guy set up his box to receive the testing repos? How does he set up his box to get stable or unstable repos. What is the proper source list. (When I first set up my box, the Live CD did not come with the proper source list set-up, and I had to ask questions and borrow from the detailed instructions of someone here.) And once he gets all that straightened out, how does he get the right program package that has the right driver in it? What is it called? Do you have that same hardware on your system? How did you get it to work?

You spend so much time telling people they are not smart enough to do it, why don't you save some time and just give nice instructions? That's why peole come to the beginner section. Not to hear you boast of how smart and accomplished you are and slam others for there lack of knowledge or ability to overcome obstacles. If another distribution will be better for their needs, what is it?

OK?
Dual Booting Lenny/XP HE on an old PIII Asus Board with an Nvidia 256 meg card, .5 gigs of ram, 800mhz processor and an Hp Officejet Pro L7580 all wired to a wireless network hub,

cnoyes

#17 Post by cnoyes »

I think we just don't understand each other. If you read through my replies in threads I've contributed to, you'll see I do just what you are saying I should do. I even go as far as to correct other responses that aren't verbose enough to help the user. I support 450 users at a time on a very complex network, so I know plenty about customer service(which I think is what you're trying to ding me on). Nowhere in here will you ever read where I boast about anything, I'm not the boasting type. If you don't like me, that's fine, I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to contribute to the community, but try not to lay baseless claims. I won't respond to anything else that you have to say about me, so flame away.
=================
chris@suxbox.org
Debian Sid
=================

graybeard

#18 Post by graybeard »

Frustrated, first of all, you want to try Debian. Good going. Second, forget Wine, the Testing branch, and flat out forget Untested and all the other recommendations made. As well intentioned as they are you've got enough on your plate to deal with without have to mess with something new. The Stable version should more than suffice. The code name for that is Lenny. Lenny and Stable are the same Debian OS. Use that.

As far as what CD to download, you should be using the i386 netinstall CD. I know you have a 64 bit processor. But stick to the 32 bit download. And that's the i386 CD. Won't go into a long speech why you should. But use that. Too much to do to make certain things work. And you don't need that do you? Hum? Besides, you'll never see the difference between a 32 bit and 64 Debian OS. Not that you'll see.

Here's a site that's help me a lot. http://www.debiantutorials.org/ Over on the left your find an article labeled "Wireless, webcam, and video on Debian Lenny". Skip all the other stuff and go straight to the wireless part. It has a piece on Broad Com wireless chip sets . It'll help a lot. Matter of fact, so will the whole site. I think it even has a link for the CD you need.

Just stay focused on what needs to be done. Don't add any more to learn. At least for the time being. Oh, And you'll probably have to add to your sources list. Yes, it's something new to learn but you really can't do without new repos to your sources list like contrib non-free and multimedia.

That's enough for now. Start with the i386 netinstall first. Go from there. Just one more thing: google.com/linux is your friend.

cnoyes

#19 Post by cnoyes »

graybeard wrote:As well intentioned as they are you've got enough on your plate to deal with without have to mess with something new.
It's true, my intentions were to try to suck him in with promises of newer, hopefully more recognizable stuff, but you're right, need to keep it simple.
=================
chris@suxbox.org
Debian Sid
=================

Absent Minded

#20 Post by Absent Minded »

If you all want to continue this move it out of the beginners section, say open a thread to discus it in General Discussion. This area is ONLY to help people with Respect and Dignaty that they deserve.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Steelaworkn

#21 Post by Steelaworkn »

Nope I'm done. No harm intended. Cnoyes, you are right. I misunderstood you. I look forward to getting to know you here. I do hope you and everyone continue to have an awesome Christmas weekend where ever you may be.
Dual Booting Lenny/XP HE on an old PIII Asus Board with an Nvidia 256 meg card, .5 gigs of ram, 800mhz processor and an Hp Officejet Pro L7580 all wired to a wireless network hub,

cnoyes

#22 Post by cnoyes »

Same here on all counts Steel.
=================
chris@suxbox.org
Debian Sid
=================

tuxracer

#23 Post by tuxracer »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
First before installing, try one (or all) of these debian LiveCD's;

gnome desktop, kde desktop

xfce desktop, lxde desktop

Cheers
Hello, I was wondering where the i386 Live versions are. Also, why is it so difficult to find them?

I know I'm nobody but if someone who utilizes the website and may be interested in suggestions, I would suggest to have obvious links to the various options for Live CD ISO and Live USB versions.

Bro.Tiag

#24 Post by Bro.Tiag »

tuxracer wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote:
First before installing, try one (or all) of these debian LiveCD's;

gnome desktop, kde desktop

xfce desktop, lxde desktop

Cheers
Hello, I was wondering where the i386 Live versions are. Also, why is it so difficult to find them?

I know I'm nobody but if someone who utilizes the website and may be interested in suggestions, I would suggest to have obvious links to the various options for Live CD ISO and Live USB versions.
Debian Live Project