lenny + testing

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

lenny + testing

Postby zonwet » 2009-12-27 17:31

At each question, ie was "forced" to get the latest lennyyn gimp and Secret Maryo Chronicles game. I installed them with the following command apt-get install gimp t squeeze libcegui-mk2-1 smc smc-music, and after the installation of relief squeeze repon.

The program works correctly, but then started to wonder how that comes when lennyyn updates, so if there are problems with the new software programs and can confused with Lenny?

Excuse bad English language.
What today is learned has been forgotten tomorrow.
zonwet

Re: lenny + testing

Postby mojoman » 2009-12-27 19:56

In the file /etc/apt/apt.conf add the following line:

Code: Select all
APT::Default-Release "stable"

By doing so you ensure that the default release is "stable" so even with the "testing" repositories enabled APT will prefer "stable" when you upgrade the system.

On a side note I'll add that mixing stable and testing probably isn't the best of ideas, if possible use backports for stable instead.
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.
mojoman

Postby zonwet » 2009-12-28 06:22

mojoman wrote:In the file /etc/apt/apt.conf add the following line:

By doing so you ensure that the default release is "stable" so even with the "testing" repositories enabled APT will prefer "stable" when you upgrade the system.

On a side note I'll add that mixing stable and testing probably isn't the best of ideas, if possible use backports for stable instead.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I know that the stable and testing are not compatible, but the children have been playing the game and wanted to produce then of course the new version of the father. In fact while I wanted to import the latest gimp, because I need it for my work.

Of course, I would have used the backports if there would have been available for these programs. Compiling programs is foreign to me, and I do not even know how to make one? But let us hope that there is nothing to break lenny can not be corrected afterwards.

The code you provided does not work for some reason, I receive the following error message:
E: Syntax error / etc / apt / apt.conf: 2: Extra junk at the end of the file
zonwet

Postby mojoman » 2009-12-28 06:44

zonwet wrote:Thank you for your reply. Yes, I know that the stable and testing are not compatible, but the children have been playing the game and wanted to produce then of course the new version of the father. In fact while I wanted to import the latest gimp, because I need it for my work.

Of course, I would have used the backports if there would have been available for these programs. Compiling programs is foreign to me, and I do not even know how to make one? But let us hope that there is nothing to break lenny can not be corrected afterwards.

The code you provided does not work for some reason, I receive the following error message:

Could you post the output of
cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
mojoman

Postby zonwet » 2009-12-28 07:18

mojoman wrote:
zonwet wrote:Thank you for your reply. Yes, I know that the stable and testing are not compatible, but the children have been playing the game and wanted to produce then of course the new version of the father. In fact while I wanted to import the latest gimp, because I need it for my work.

Could you post the output of
cat /etc/apt/apt.conf

file is empty, should there be something?
zonwet

Postby mojoman » 2009-12-28 07:27

zonwet wrote:file is empty, should there be something?

Well, yes. As I said in my first post, add the following line of code to that file

mojoman

Postby zonwet » 2009-12-28 08:00

mojoman wrote:

Well, yes. As I said in my first post, add the following line of code to that file

If you enter the code to put in /etc /apt /apt.conf file, so will be reporting in the past the error message when run the command apt-get update
zonwet

Postby zonwet » 2009-12-28 08:12

zonwet wrote:
mojoman wrote:

If you enter the code to put in /etc /apt /apt.conf file, so will be reporting in the past the error message when run the command apt-get update

I found with google a solution for your code or your lack of this character; So the correct code is APT:: Default-Release "stable";

Thank you very much for helping, however ...:).
zonwet

Postby mojoman » 2009-12-28 08:43

zonwet wrote:I found with google a solution for your code or your lack of this character; So the correct code is APT:: Default-Release "stable";

Thank you very much for helping, however ...:).

Ah,I forget the trailing ;

My bad. I copied and edited the contents of my /etc/apt/apt.conf for my original post (as I use testing as my default release) and must have deleted it by mistake. Sorry.
mojoman

Return to Beginners Questions