Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Access NTFS File system and get wireless to work

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
alfo666

Access NTFS File system and get wireless to work

#1 Post by alfo666 »

Hi, is there a way to access my Windows NTFS files on a separate partition on the same drive for read/write? When i click on the icon for this partition on the desktop I get on error "unable to mount".

Also why would my wireless internet simply not work when the system boots up?
Intel pro/wireless 3945ABG?? Should it not just work when the operating system boots???

Also is there a way for the built in webcam to work??

THanks,
Al

Absent Minded

Re: Access NTFS File system and get wireless to work

#2 Post by Absent Minded »

Hi Al,
You need to install ntfs3g to read and write to your NTFS partition. For the rest of your questions we need some information about your system to be able to answer you.

Welcome to the Debian forum,
AM
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

refracta

#3 Post by refracta »

I believe firmware-iwlwifi is the correct package you need for your wireless card to function.

alfo666

#4 Post by alfo666 »

Thanks for your reply, they dont get me much of anywhere. When I try to install the firmware-iwlwifi, I get couln;t find package.

When i tried installing ntfs-3g, it says is already the newest version- i guess it's already installed. It doesn't work on my system- I still get the 'cannot mount volume error' !!!

milomak

#5 Post by milomak »

run the following as root and post the output - cat /etc/fstab and fdisk -l
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

Tixy

#6 Post by Tixy »

firmware-iwlwifi is in the 'non-free' section of the Debian repositories, this is for software which doesn't meet the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG); basically, it's not open-source.

This section isn't enable by default. To enable it, add 'non-free' after 'main' in the relevant line of your /etc/apt/sources.list file (or use the Repositories menu if you use the Synaptic GUI).

It might also help. if you mention which version of Debian (Lenny/Squeeze/...), and which desktop environment (Gnome/KDE/...) you are using; as some instructions or bugs are only relevant to some.

Edited later to correct name of sources.list file