Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian for an Eee PC?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Labman
Location: Near the bottom of the learning curve somewhere in Northern USA

Debian for an Eee PC?

#1 Post by Labman »

I got an Eee PC 900A Linux for Christmas, 4 GB, SSd, 1 GB DDR2, Intel Atom, WiFi, 802.11b/g. Were I completely to new to Linux, likely I would have packed it up and exchanged it the 26'th. In checking some other sites, I get the idea the sooner I dump the existing OS, the better. http://www.geteasypeasy.com/ seems popular. I have the ubuntu files downloaded but the installation isn't working right.

I have also found
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends

When I upgraded my desktop in early 08, I had installed kubuntu and wasn't happy with it. I am not the most computer proficient. I am wondering if I would be better off with the same basic distro on the net book and desktop? It is not that I am doing so great with the desktop, but at least it is the devil I know. I can at least resize windows with it. I ran into 2 problems with the net book where the window wasn't displaying the button I needed or scroll bars. I have coped with that on the desktop by lowering the top, and then dragging the bottom onto the screen. I couldn't make the window reduce on the net book. It seems filled with obtrusive features I'm not interested in. Do any of you agree I might be better off with the Pureblend?

The desktop is release 5.0.3(Lenny), kernel Linux 2.6.30-2-686, Gnome 2.28
Debian stable, Athlon 3500+, PCChips board with Nvida Gforce chip, 1 gig RAM

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Debian for an Eee PC?

#2 Post by oswaldkelso »

Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Labman

#3 Post by Labman »

Never overestimate a newbie! I decided to go with Debian, and spent hours yesterday trying to prepare an SD card, getting nowhere even with the help of my son in law the professional programer over the phone.

Today I pulled the ''SD card'' out that came in the EeePC. Duh, it doesn't have any contacts on it. It is just a chunk of plastic shaped like a card with SD embossed on it.

Bolle1961

#4 Post by Bolle1961 »

Labman wrote:Today I pulled the ''SD card'' out that came in the EeePC. Duh, it doesn't have any contacts on it. It is just a chunk of plastic shaped like a card with SD embossed on it.
;)
try unetbootin to put een .iso to an usb stick or sd card, there's a linux and a windows version
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net
it works really great

desktop : Debian
EeePC900 : Lubuntu / SolydX
EeePC1215 : Win7 / Debian / openSUSE

craigevil

#5 Post by craigevil »

unetbootin is not needed. Just follow the instructions at DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install - Debian Wiki - http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Labman

#6 Post by Labman »

Actually I took some short cuts. After buying a real SC card, I shoved it in my printer slot and downloaded debian-eeepc.img directly to it using my desk top with its full size keyboard, monitor, and mouse.

I was able to boot from it. How long should the install take? It has been sitting there over 4 hours with nothing but a blinking cursor.

jollysnowman

#7 Post by jollysnowman »

Labman wrote:Actually I took some short cuts. After buying a real SC card, I shoved it in my printer slot and downloaded debian-eeepc.img directly to it using my desk top with its full size keyboard, monitor, and mouse.

I was able to boot from it. How long should the install take? It has been sitting there over 4 hours with nothing but a blinking cursor.
That's not good lol. What exactly did you do and what exactly happens when you boot from the SD?

Labman

#8 Post by Labman »

On my Lenny based desktop, I clicked on http://eeepc.debian.net/debian/images/debian-eeepc.img With the card in the printer, in the save dialog box, I selected removable media to save to. In a few minutes I had debian-eeepc.img on the card.

I moved the card to notebook and then booted the EeePC pushing escape to get the choose boot device screen and choose USB device. I hit enter and the screen went blank except the cursor. I then went out hoping to find my new OS when I returned.

I do have the 900A with the reported Grub problem.

In looking back over the instructions, I skipped the step of turning on the wireless. No wireless, and it can't download the files it needs. Maybe I need to start over.

craigevil

#9 Post by craigevil »

You can't just save the image you have to use dd.

Debian Wiki - http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowT ... OrUsbStick
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list