Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Lenny, want Iceweasel to open .doc files in oOo

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
keithpeter

[SOLVED] Lenny, want Iceweasel to open .doc files in oOo

#1 Post by keithpeter »

Hello All

I'm using a stock Lenny install, complete with Iceweasel 3.0.6 and OpenOffice 2.4. All works fine.

I'd like to click on a link to a .doc file in a Web page and see the file open in OpenOffice. At present, when I click on a link to a .doc file, Iceweasel gives me an option box with a blank application, and the option to download the file.

To add a new 'type' to the preferences | application screen in Iceweasel, I need to use the mouse to find the location of the openoffice program. Don't know how to do that.

Any ideas?
Last edited by keithpeter on 2010-01-03 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

craigevil

Re: Lenny, want Iceweasel to open .doc files in openoffice

#2 Post by craigevil »

Install mozilla-openoffice.org
aptitude install mozilla-openoffice.org then restart iceweasel.

about:plugins
OpenOffice.org Plug-in
Filename /usr/lib/openoffice/program/libnpsoplugin.so
Plugin Version:
Plugin Description: OpenOffice.org Plug-in handles all its documents
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

refracta

Re: Lenny, want Iceweasel to open .doc files in openoffice

#3 Post by refracta »

keithpeter wrote: To add a new 'type' to the preferences | application screen in Iceweasel, I need to use the mouse to find the location of the openoffice program. Don't know how to do that.
look in /usr/bin for something like oooffice or similar

keithpeter

Re: [SOLVED] Lenny, want Iceweasel to open .doc files in oOo

#4 Post by keithpeter »

Thanks both.

The mozilla-openoffice.org plug in lets me load openoffice format documents (odt &c) without downloading.

Clicking on a link to a .doc file in Iceweasel and then selecting Open With and Other, navigating to /usr/bin/oowriter and ticking the 'Do This automatically with files like this' checkbox, then clicking OK works for Word files. Saves a lot of time when you have 34 essays to give feedback on for Tuesday!

cheers