Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ctrl-shift, alt-shift combination blocking

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ionuion

ctrl-shift, alt-shift combination blocking

#1 Post by ionuion »

Hello.
I've had this problem for quite some time now and I decided to ask for help.
I have testing(squeeze) installed on a desktop and a laptop. The problem I describe is only applicable to the laptop.

Basically, the ctrl-shift, alt-shift combinations block in a way I describe further. I will refer to these two combinations as 'comb' further in the message.
That means that if I need to sequentially type comb-T multiple times, the event is registered only the first time, on releasing T and pressing it again no event is registered.
A workaround is to release any of the ctrl, alt or shift in the formula and press it again in order to have comb-T registered again.

Why is this a problem, why I'm asking? The first example that comes in mind is: in Netbeans I need to move a line in code down with alt-shift-down. Moving it multiple lines is a non-heavenly experience.

I checked with xev.
This is independent of the layout, I have checked with english, german and russian.

X.Org X Server 1.6.5
I should mention that I had this problem also with lenny, when it was the testing release.
The ctrl-alt combination is not a problem
My laptop is a Fujitsu-Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5505, if that gives a hint as to the problem.

I assume I need to provide more information, but I don't know which. I believe uname -a or cat /proc/cpuinfo is irrelevant here, so please ask for any.

Thanks for your help

Pick2

Re: ctrl-shift, alt-shift combination blocking

#2 Post by Pick2 »

It might be a hardware limitation of your laptop keyboard , does an external USB keyboard display the same problem ?
If an external keyboard works , it is probably your keyboard. If an external keyboard has the same problem , we might be able to find a software solution. Might be a different keyboard layout choice or set a key binding some where.

Does this problem exist with windows or another distribution ? You could try a live version of knoppix or ubuntu to check if it is software related.

ionuion

#3 Post by ionuion »

I generally consider myself quite smart, but that's becoming obsolete. How is it possible that I didn't think of that earlier?

I just connected an external keyboard and the problem is not reproducible.
This must be a hardware limitation.

I've had once Windows on this laptop and the problem was also there. One extra point for that conclusion.

Thanks a lot Pick2

Pick2

#4 Post by Pick2 »

You are Welcome -- Glad I could help -- can you tell I'm more of a hardware guy :D