Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Port for torrent client closed.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Mad_7

Port for torrent client closed.

#1 Post by Mad_7 »

Hi! :D

What can be done for opening a port to an application? (A torrent client, in this case. Specifically Azureus).

So far, azureus choose a port (56560), so I went to router's setup (192.168.1.1) and I forwarded this port to my pc (192.168.1.101).
Then (for not dealing with netfilters), I installed firestarter.

I ran the initial wizard (that didn't let me enable the internet connection sharing, since it's found only eth0), and went to it's settings.
Enabled the permissive choice for outbound traffic and for the inbound one, I add the 192.168.1.1 (my router) and the port 56560.
(I also enabled the firestarter to apply the changes immediately).

Well, the port is still inaccessible from azureus! :(

I read that internet connection sharing must be enabled, for port forwarding, but as I already told, firestarter don't let me it.

I tried also this http://wiki.vuze.com/index.php/Firewall ... 28Linux.29, but no luck.

Of course if I disable altogether the firewall, the port is accessible again. My router has an internal firewall, but I suppose its better to have the software firewall enabled too.

Any hints? :D
HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!!!

craigevil

Re: Port for torrent client closed.

#2 Post by craigevil »

If the router has a firewall, why bother with a software firewall?

I haven't had a firewall on my system ever, haven't had any problems.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

bugsbunny

#3 Post by bugsbunny »

+1 on what craigevil said. However if you really want to try it with the firewall try not limiting port 56560 to just 192.168.1.1 and allow it to connect from any IP. Your router is going to be passing through the source IP address so the firewall will see the original source IP and not the routers IP.

Mad_7

#4 Post by Mad_7 »

craigevil wrote:If the router has a firewall, why bother with a software firewall?

I haven't had a firewall on my system ever, haven't had any problems.
OK! :D

I'm giving iptables -F
and it's disabled.

Can I make this permanent, so I don't have to give it at every startup?
bugsbunny wrote:+1 on what craigevil said. However if you really want to try it with the firewall try not limiting port 56560 to just 192.168.1.1 and allow it to connect from any IP. Your router is going to be passing through the source IP address so the firewall will see the original source IP and not the routers IP.
I can't find this option! :(
Seems like firestarter is giving the option to add only individual IPs, for inbound connections.