Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Looking for guidelines for setting up a home server

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
andy638

Looking for guidelines for setting up a home server

#1 Post by andy638 »

Hi

I want to set up a Debian based home server to replace the Contribs.org SME server I have been using for the last few years. The clients on the network will be a mix of Windows and Linux boxes.

I'm not a newbie but no guru either. Can anyone recommend any suitable HOWTOs or other guides? My plan is to initially use it as a file and print server using Samba, and also as a DHCP server, but I may want to add some other capabilities later on, possibly including some limited external access via the Internet. I'm concerned about security and some of the guides I've seen so far don't seem to pay too much attention to this aspect.

Thanks

Andy

craigevil

Re: Looking for guidelines for setting up a home server

#2 Post by craigevil »

Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

andy638

Re: Looking for guidelines for setting up a home server

#3 Post by andy638 »

Thanks. I'd found the second one but the first one is new to me.

Andy