Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

linux box doesnt go online with new router

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ramon

linux box doesnt go online with new router

#1 Post by ramon »

Hi I bought this linksys dir-825 a couple of days and it works great on my other pcs running windows and laptops and game systems,but for some reason my linux system keeps showing this message "wired network connection with self assigned address" and their is this yellow sign on the network icon. I am guessing it should be using dhcp to get an address and I didnt touch anything to make it create its own address. When I click for more information I see that my nic has been assigned an ip address, broadcast address and subnet mask but the fields for default rout, primary DNS, and secondary DNS are empty. My router has MAC filtering on and I inputted and double checked the mac for my linux box.

thanks

Also I forgot to mentioned that the kernel crashed on me and linux asked to send some report I said allow and apparently it was able to transmit it while I couldnt access the internet at all.

aj123

Re: linux box doesnt go online with new router

#2 Post by aj123 »

# dhclient eth0

What is listed in /etc/network/interfaces ?

ramon

Re: linux box doesnt go online with new router

#3 Post by ramon »

Thanks for the reply. It is the weirdest thing I went on my box again and tried some stuff and then found out it worked when mac filtering was off. Then I went on the linux box and try to set the mac address and turned it back on and it works fine now.

thank you