Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Newbie Package Group Question

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
aecooper-uk

Newbie Package Group Question

#1 Post by aecooper-uk »

Hello,

I have been using Unix for over 28 years and administering it for over 20, including assorted Linuxes, I have just started giving Debian a go. SunOS/Solaris/Slackware/RedHat all give you the `install everything' option when setting it up. This gives you a `standard/mainstream Unix' environment (HPUX asside). Obviously the `install everything' is crazy with debian but is/are there package groups that can be used to install all standard Unix command line programs typically found in other Linuxes/Unixes? I have seen references to build-essentials but is there a list of package groups and what they would install? The closest I have come to this is Synaptec's package sections but these seem too all encompassing for what I am after.

E.g. after setting up a system I don't want to have to keep adding standard things like g++, gdb, ddd etc but do something like apt-get --group text-tools, apt-get --group dev-tools...

MTIA,

Tony.

hazel

Re: Newbie Package Group Question

#2 Post by hazel »

If you install the "standard system" that will give you all the Unix utilities but no graphics. "Desktop" gives you a GUI. All the compilation tools and standard library headers are in a package called "build-essential". If you want a minimal system, the easiest way to get one is to use the net install option; this installs a minimal system and you download and add what you want.

aecooper-uk

#3 Post by aecooper-uk »

Hi Hazel :-),

Many thanks for that, I was expecting there to be a family of package groups not just the one and it was g++ that caught me out.

Cheers,

Tony :-).

Jackiebrown

#4 Post by Jackiebrown »

If you click advance in the installer, you can choose another DE

Absent Minded

#5 Post by Absent Minded »

if you run aptitude from the cli it will give you an interface to pick and choose various meta packages or indavidual packages as you wish.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012