Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

installed, now what?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
nadir

Re: installed, now what?

#16 Post by nadir »

from what i know (and it ain't that much):
your entry is like this:

Code: Select all

title debian etc
    root (hd0,6)
    kernel /boot/grub/core.img
so hda7 seems to be right.
and after the second line you need those lines:

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=/dev/hda7 ro quiet
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686
mount the partition debian is on and check which kernel it uses. if it is a stock lenny it should use the kernel in the code i posted. you may just try in case you got a debian-lenny install:

title debian lenny 2.6.26-kernel
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=/dev/hda7 ro quiet
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686
perhaps wait a bit if one will correct me.

EDIT, due to the following post:
i pm'ed tuxracer that when it comes to chainloading i can't be of help.
Last edited by nadir on 2010-01-27 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

tuxracer

Re: installed, now what?

#17 Post by tuxracer »

The debian ver. I installed is testing, LXDE, so the kernel is 2.6.30 so I can substitute what you have there with that, correct?

Also, the Mepis ver. installed is also an update of the kernel although based on Lenny with the rest of the software (i.e. 8.5 b4). They're using 2.6.32, I believe.

So, you're saying, I should add to the menu.lst entry I have there, currently, the one with the Grub 2 entry, a kernel and initrd line, respectively? I'm just curious, why. Will, it change something that is currently happening to something else?

Edit: I notice my debian testing, LXDE, install is using 2.6.30 but on distrowatch, it displays Debian Testing is using the 2.6.32 kernel. I'm confused....