Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems with special characters

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
agmm23

Problems with special characters

#1 Post by agmm23 »

Hi

I am trying to copy files to debian and the name of the file uses special characters as °

Everytime that I copy that file the special character ° is replaced by ?

I believe that I need to install a package with apt-get install, but I don't know which package to install.

My LANG variable is set to es_CL.UTF-8

Thanks

smallchange

Re: Problems with special characters

#2 Post by smallchange »

I wish I could give you a real good answer but I think the best I will be able to manage is a little help. I also see this problem but using en_US.UTF-8. In my case when I find an application that does not have UTF support I run it like this

Code: Select all

LC_CTYPE=en_US.iso88591 man ls
It can also be done this way

LC_CTYPE=en_US man ls
I have created a number of aliases because of this. For instance, to see what es_CL locales are available is used this alias

alias dr='LC_CTYPE=en_US.iso88591 sudo dpkg-reconfigure'
because dialog boxes look weird if I don't. Anyway, that showed me that es_CL.iso88591 is available. I think if you install that locale you will be able to use this method and go from impossible to awkward.