Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

VMware Fusion NAT-DNS Issue

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
michaelkav

VMware Fusion NAT-DNS Issue

#1 Post by michaelkav »

Hi,

I am a student.

New to Debian trying to get it running on my MacBook Pro as I am doing a course using Debian (Unix Administration) at school starting on thursday as part of my degree.

I installed Debian, as in the Debian manual, into VMware Fusion 3.0.1 on Mac OSX 10.6.2. Then as directed, VMware manual this time, installed the Linux Tools. All the VMware Fusion tools work but the network.

When using NAT I cannot get any DNS resolution...I tried to ping IP's and that works fine as expected (putting an IP into the browser loads the page)...but domain names will not resolve...VMware fusion works fine on windows...and I had it working on openSUSE also. So kinda confused at this point what is wrong.

I suppose I could force Debian to use another DNS or try a reinstall of Debian...I have reinstalled the Linux Tools twice now as directed in manual for uninstalll/install.

I am sure it is something stupid it always is. ;)

Can anyone help with a fix before thursday? :p

Michael

Code: Select all

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0c:29:b0:e7:71  
          inet addr:192.168.58.143  Bcast:192.168.58.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:feb0:e771/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:275 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:612 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:64473 (62.9 KiB)  TX bytes:83483 (81.5 KiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:560 (560.0 B)  TX bytes:560 (560.0 B)

Absent Minded

Re: VMware Fusion NAT-DNS Issue

#2 Post by Absent Minded »

it sounds to e like you are not geting any DNS resolution. I would check that your host mahine is delivering the DNS properly.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

michaelkav

#3 Post by michaelkav »

Yep that was the problem! :D

I don't get it but in case another has this problem I will explain the remedy as simple as it was. Even something simple may be a problem to another in the future. Especially something like this, which is not complex, but a bit weird.

Before I did the following my Mac showed no signs of DNS problems in itself. I had working: openSuse, openBSD and win7 under VMware fusion without doing anything to my DNS settings. They followed along with the settings my Mac used. However on this same set up Debian could not find the DNS servers. I don't know why as everything I looked at seemed okay to me, but it was a DNS issue for sure.

Before I got things working in Debian I had my Router set to get the DNS automatically from my ISP; and this worked fine for everything but Debian.

But after reading the reply I looked again and for some reason (?) when I put in the DNS IP's manually to my Router Debian started to be able to resolve DNS via NAT and of course everything else worked fine also on OSX and my other VM OS's as normal.

It also worked leaving the router as is and putting the DNS's in manually to OSX.

System Preferences > Network > Airport > Advanced > DNS Tab

Thank you Sir, you put me to the right place to look! I had scanned my settings and thought can't be that as everything looked good.

Firewall back up etc all doing fine just a weird one.

On a side note Debian is running very nicely now on my MacBook Pro inside VMware Fusion 3.0.1. It is very fast and the Linux tools are easy to install, it is a bit less desktoppy and clean cut than my openSuse and not so simplistic as my OpenBSD but it is nice and in the middle and above all very fast.

Looking forward to my class now and learning more about Debian.

Thank You,
Michael

mtiernan

#4 Post by mtiernan »

I've run into this before and posted a quick discussion about it on my blog at:
http://mtiernan.blogspot.com/2010/03/vm ... t-dns.html

I'm running VMF 2.x but the problem seems to be the same.