Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Total n00b to Linux, I require assistance

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
mickgriddle

Total n00b to Linux, I require assistance

#1 Post by mickgriddle »

Alright, I got an iBook g3 dual usb from the tech department at my school for free and I absolutely hate mac os, so I wanted to try linux, I am a total n00b to linux, anyways, I installed debian, and am going through the command terminal and I have no desktop or anything, I can log into the command terminal but I have no idea where to go from there to start! Point to anything, a tut or a post that could help me please!

nadir

Re: Total n00b to Linux, I require assistance

#2 Post by nadir »

this is the latest revision of oswaldkelsos beginners guide:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddq4dz3q_24cxjdstg2
-go to section 6 and 7 and have a short read about desktop-environments and window-managers.
people might say a beginner should start with an environment. i would start right of with a window-manager.
- go to section B.2.1 and B.2.2 to check how to install a gui from scratch.
- installing is as simple as becoming root:

Code: Select all

su
and entering

apt-get install < the name of a package>
i would start with:

apt-get install xorg
next step, as an example, would be:

apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
or simply

apt-get install gnome-core
if you choose a full environment that has been all the magic. exit root by typing -> exit, and type

startx
to start the gui. and with a bit of luck it's running.

i keep it short: you have got so many choices that its not easy to tell you what to do.
you need at minimum X (the gui) and some kind of window-management (either a window-manager or a desktop-environment. either a full desktop-environment or a stripped down version)
(and there the trouble starts, not everyone would agree...).

might be you will find some good info here
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20481
as i ain't got a mac i don't know (because there is no use for me to read it).

if you got trouble just ask. welcome to debian.
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

mickgriddle

#3 Post by mickgriddle »

Thanks a ton man, you've helped a lot!

EDIT: Alright, so I've installed gnome first, I still need a window manager and various other things?

mickgriddle

#4 Post by mickgriddle »

Alright, when I type apt-get install xorg I get E: Couldn't find package xorg. I have however already installed the Gnome desktop environment but don't know how to access it from the command terminal? I just really want to get to gnome.

Maybe the CD I used doesn't include the xorg package? I have no idea.

AdrianTM

#5 Post by AdrianTM »

If you installed Gnome you should have xorg installed too. The easiest way to start Gnome is to install gdm (apt-get install gdm) and reboot, I think you should be presented with a graphical log in, if not, type "startx" and post here the results.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

Bro.Tiag

#6 Post by Bro.Tiag »

Welcome to debian, linux & the forums.
mickgriddle wrote:Alright, I got an iBook g3 dual usb from the tech department at my school for free and I absolutely hate mac os, so I wanted to try linux, I am a total n00b to linux, anyways, I installed debian, and am going through the command terminal and I have no desktop or anything, I can log into the command terminal but I have no idea where to go from there to start! Point to anything, a tut or a post that could help me please!
OK, seeing how you are trying to get debian running on a Mac (and documentation for that is sparse), I wont make any sarcastic comments and risk the possablilty of someone thinking I am being rude thus having my post edited. Ergo, have a read of this post, Debian User Forums • View topic - How to install debian on imac-emac ppc, very verbose set-up. Additionally, you might find some of these posts also helpfull, Search for eMac, iMac & Mac. One last rescource, have a look at this site, PC wiki | Linux on your Apple Mac | iLinux]General PPC | Linux on your Apple Mac | iLinux as well as their forum and the old forum.

Cheers

mickgriddle

#7 Post by mickgriddle »

Sorry hold on, tried to follow up on a tut too late and messed everything up, reinstalling everything now, I'll post as soon as I get back to where I was.

nadir

#9 Post by nadir »

good links are added (by Bro.Tiag and SoulSinging). check them (if you like)
EDIT: Alright, so I've installed gnome first, I still need a window manager and various other things?
the desktop-environments include a window-manager (gnome uses metacity ; xfce uses something like xfwm, lxde uses openbox, kde uses kwin).
say like this
-X is the basis (in case one wants a gui, an easy way is to install xorg to include it all)
-desktop-environments (include a window-manager, a login-manager, a coherent look and feel and a ton of apps)
-stripped down desktop-environment (include a window-manager and the basic apps)
-a window-manager (includes a window-manager and thats it, icewm is a very good one, openbox too)

as far i know they also include a login-manager (for sure gnome and kde).
they also include a ton of apps you will never use, and once you go for testing or unstable (and you will) they are a little bit touchy.

if for one would add gnome-core and install the stuff i need on my own. a bit of work for now, but you will get deep down into the rabbit hole from the very beginning (in plain words: you will learn faster).

mickgriddle

#10 Post by mickgriddle »

Is there anyway that I can view the whole command prompt? It's like my screen is too small for the resolution, the words go off about 8 lines from the bottom of my ibook.

Absent Minded

#11 Post by Absent Minded »

you can get a terminal by pressing ctrl+alt+F1
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

mickgriddle

#12 Post by mickgriddle »

AdrianTM wrote:If you installed Gnome you should have xorg installed too. The easiest way to start Gnome is to install gdm (apt-get install gdm) and reboot, I think you should be presented with a graphical log in, if not, type "startx" and post here the results.
ALright, it told me Server X was put on incorrectly, let me get confirmation on what it says.

mickgriddle

#13 Post by mickgriddle »

Alright,

Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?

Yes No

Edit: Just realized almost every single one of my posts starts with Alright,

Edit 2: Possible problem I only installed Gnome-core, installing gnome-desktop-environment right now.

Edit 3: No dice. The graphical guide looks totally different from what I'm faced with possibly because I'm running on a mac.

Bro.Tiag

#14 Post by Bro.Tiag »

mickgriddle wrote:Alright,

Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?

Yes No

Edit 2: Possible problem I only installed Gnome-core, installing gnome-desktop-environment right now.
STOP! Step away from the computer. Go to the store and get a sixer of beer (if not old enough a sixer of Dew). Drink at least one before returning to your computer. Now, before doing anything else (other then opening another can) READ the links I offered and the one Soul Singin' posted. If you have finished reading and still have a few cans left over, you read to fast. Read them again. Now, start over and follow the advice offered by others.

Cheers

mickgriddle

#15 Post by mickgriddle »

Alright xorg is clearly no available on my cpu, I don't understand why, maybe the installation CD didn't include the library or something. I can't get internet access to my mac, well I guess I can via ethernet cable, is this necessary?

Soul Singin'

#16 Post by Soul Singin' »

Bro.Tiag wrote:STOP! Step away from the computer. Go to the store and get a sixer of beer (if not old enough a sixer of Dew). Drink at least one before returning to your computer. Now, before doing anything else (other then opening another can) READ the links I offered and the one Soul Singin' posted. If you have finished reading and still have a few cans left over, you read to fast. Read them again. Now, start over and follow the advice offered by others.
:lol:

Absent Minded

#17 Post by Absent Minded »

What is the instalation media that you are using (ie. netinstall. KDEinstall, Gnome install or a DVD Disk)?
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

mickgriddle

#18 Post by mickgriddle »

debian-503-powerpc-CD-1.iso is the cd-r image I used for Debian.

mickgriddle

#19 Post by mickgriddle »

Bro.Tiag wrote:
mickgriddle wrote:Alright,

Yes No

STOP! Step away from the computer. Go to the store and get a sixer of beer (if not old enough a sixer of Dew). Drink at least one before returning to your computer. Now, before doing anything else (other then opening another can) READ the links I offered and the one Soul Singin' posted. If you have finished reading and still have a few cans left over, you read to fast. Read them again. Now, start over and follow the advice offered by others.

Cheers
Can't drink pop. (Or beer for that matter.) I tried the businesscard.iso tut, however when I installed the core via disk, it had an error and couldn't finish the installation, I'm off to the next tutorial.

nadir

#20 Post by nadir »

again: i don't know mac.
do all of the following as root, by typing

su 
but when you try to startx type:

exit
to exit root and run the startx as user.

some ideas (from a PC-user)
make sure xorg is installed:

apt-cache policy xorg
will tell you. if not install it

apt-get install xorg
if you get error-messages post them.

try it without the xorg configuration file

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf  /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup
and try startx.

try to re-create a xorg.conf:

Xorg -configure

mv /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
not sure about the following, things have changed (the question is when):

dpgk-configure -phigh xserver-xorg
i am sure Bro.Tiag didn't post what he did just for the fun of it. as said: i don't know a mac. might be there is something very different. i did a short search for xorg in oswaldkelsos how-to, but didn't find anything unusual.

PS: just to let you know: the most experienced users over here use aptitude instead of apt-get. i simply don't know it and therefor post the apt-get commands.
Last edited by nadir on 2010-01-31 22:09, edited 1 time in total.