Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

My Login Screen

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
oOarthurOo

Re: My Login Screen

#16 Post by oOarthurOo »

DrKebab wrote:I just saw arthur's post, how do I navigate the var/log/ directory? I am going to reboot again to see if I can see the login screen and hopefully be able to navigate it, brb.
Navigating in the console?

cd, ls, locate, cat, more, less, grep and nano or vim.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debia ... ole_basics

ComputerBob

Re: My Login Screen

#17 Post by ComputerBob »

I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe someone else will have a good idea.

I had hoped that even when you couldn't SEE the login screen, that it was still there, but maybe a bad screen connection or some other hardware problem was intermittently causing your PC to lose its display.

But if you can't login unless you can SEE the login screen, that indicates that the login screen itself is intermittently failing to appear -- I'm not familiar with that problem, and I also don't think it would account for the other weird video abnormalities that you see intermittently -- which still sound like a possible hardware problem to me.

Are you sure that you're NOT logging in when you do it "blindly?" Does anything change onscreen after you try to login?

UPDATE: It's been more than 30 minutes since you replied, and it's after midnight here, so I'm going to bed. If you're still here, I hope that someone else will be able to help you.
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)