Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hp Laserjet 1020 doesn't print

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
SysEnvir

Hp Laserjet 1020 doesn't print

#1 Post by SysEnvir »

Hi!

I've alluded to this question below but now its specific. I have tried to download the latest version of CUPS but do not know how to install it properly using command line commands above 'sudo' and 'sh', and I have tried to install HPLIP but it needs 'cups-devel' installed apparently.
My Debian can see the 1020 clearly enough to identify it and give its status as idle, via the CUPS interface. When I try and print a Test page it goes to the spooler, says it is printing OK, but nothing prints. The job then disappears and appears on CUPS as completed. In the old days we would have sent a eof() to make the printer work. Have I got a bug in my HP Laserjet 1020 driver?
Or am I missing the great plug-in that is not on the Synaptic Package Manager :P The SPM says I have HPLIP installed.

Any help with this would be great - it would round out an otherwise complete Debian install on a new harddrive, replacing XP.

Raffles10

Re: Hp Laserjet 1020 doesn't print

#2 Post by Raffles10 »

To get my HP working (different model to yours) I needed the 'hpijs' driver. Don't know if you already have it ? I don't know exactly what you mean by you can't install cups properly, the usual 'apt-get install cups' should be all thats needed.
Debian Squeeze + KDE 4.4.4 + AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000 + nVidia GeForce 8600

blasicle

#3 Post by blasicle »

The hplip page for your printer says it is supported, but you need to download firmware.
Are you installing hplip with the package manager?
Also, do you have the foo2zjs package installed? It says it's a driver for your printer.
Also look at the hannah package.

SysEnvir

#4 Post by SysEnvir »

I downloaded the latest version of CUPS without using the SPM, and although the install script ran, it asked for a number of other packages to be installled manually, which is beyond my ken.(I don't know how to do it! :P )
The 1020 driver itself is loaded, and as far as I can tell, all the components you have mentioned are installed and active, they just don't print. :(
I have just installed and used Hannah to download the latest 1020 firmware. The computer seems to think it has printed the document, and the little status bar at the bottom right hand corner of the screen flashes all the way across and disappears merrily, and the print job records in the spooler screen as though it had printed, yet there's no output. The printer is on, and did work when I had a version of Ubuntu loaded on Windows - but when I installed Ubuntu it asked that an additional plugin be loaded, which it did via their version of the SPM, and the printer worked then. It doesn't now.

Many thanks for your interest in this, :P

SysEnvir

#5 Post by SysEnvir »

Printer now works after turning off the printer,
installing hannah-foo2zjs using
sudo apt-get install foo2zjs hannah-foo2zjs
sudo hannah-foo2zjs
and then turning on the printer again, then run a test page form CUPS. Many thanks.

The full instructions are from the following website:
http://develcuy.com/en/content/debian/h ... bian-lenny

halobest

#6 Post by halobest »

hi, I can find and runing this laserjet 1020 driver. not problem