Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Automating Mass Package Installs

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
woodsman

Automating Mass Package Installs

#1 Post by woodsman »

I'm using a Lenny/Squeeze mix, KDE 3.5.

Before migrating to a hard drive I'm learning my way around Debian by running in a virtual machine. I am learning a lot about the Debian design and I'm looking forward to running Debian full time.

My self-teaching virtual machine process includes installations, which I have performed several times. During those various runs, I have created a list of about 100 packages that I add after the initial installation. I'd like to run a shell script to install those packages in one sweep.

I am aware of the apt-get -y option.

I also have read about preseeding. Although that process might help and be more elite, I would prefer for now to write a simple script that automates this mass installation.

I am no newbie to shell scripts but I am a new to Debian and apt-get/aptitude. So all I am asking is a little help and nudging with apt-get/aptitude to help me automate this task.

Thanks much. :)

stevepusser

Re: Automating Mass Package Installs

#2 Post by stevepusser »

You can create a list of all your installed packages with

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections >/home/steve/packages_backup.txt
replace /home/steve/ with the actual location of where you wish the list of packages to go.

You can manually edit that list down to your list of 100 or so packages, but it may be time-consuming. It's faster just to leave the list as is. To reinstall from that file (as root):

Code: Select all

dpkg --set-selections </home/steve/packages_backup.txt
apt-get dselect-upgrade

Again, replace the argument with the actual path and name of the list file.

nadir

#3 Post by nadir »

have a look if this if of use for your purpose:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... s.-726212/
at the end of the script you can add your apps manually:
#This portion needs to be edited to suit your needs, add whatever you like
apt-get install ....
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

woodsman

#4 Post by woodsman »

Thanks for the replies. More to learn!

Just a comment, if I want automation, should the script linked in LQ be using the "-y" option with apt-get? Otherwise each package installation requires confirmation, correct?

nadir

#5 Post by nadir »

woodsman wrote:Thanks for the replies. More to learn!

Just a comment, if I want automation, should the script linked in LQ be using the "-y" option with apt-get? Otherwise each package installation requires confirmation, correct?
to be honest: i don't know. i used the script exactly one time and it did work very good. i can't remember i had to confirm each package, but on the other hand i can't see a "-y, do install that package".
i would say it simply needs to be added after "apt-get install -y ...."

btw: the dpkg-method by stevepusser seems more "elegant" to me (but i barely use dpkg, if at all, and therfor don't know that much about its power). i would go for that option.

if you use the script and it does work please let me know (i would try it but got other "problems", which are very time-consuming)
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.