Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Getting thru the MySQL Admin screen

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
SysEnvir

Getting thru the MySQL Admin screen

#1 Post by SysEnvir »

Hi!

Can somebody please help with the MySQL Admin screen, which asks for a Server Hostname (?) and gives a port #. Whilst I am not in a position to question the port number, the Hostname is unknown to me. What should I put there?

Furthermore, I have installed Postgresql from the SPM, but although the blurb i the SPM says its a fully featured etc it has just disappeared from sight. Should I be trying to link tp postgresql using MySQL. I am old Access hand and this host name business is rather new to me. :)

I a nutshell, how do I fire up MySQL, please? I've tried the MySQL website and found myself engulfed in corporate license blurb....... :P

barriehie

Re: Getting thru the MySQL Admin screen

#2 Post by barriehie »

In a terminal enter:

Code: Select all

hostname
Barrie

x00r

Re: Getting thru the MySQL Admin screen

#3 Post by x00r »

If you whish to use MySQL (as database server) at your own computer, install it first.

apt-get update && apt-get install mysql-server
After this, set a mysql-root password

mysql_secure_installation
After this, install some front end like PhpMyAdmin in this case, you do not have to set hostname or port. Default it should fallback to localhost or 127.0.0.1 and port 3306.