Need help installing Flash Player [SOLVED]

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Need help installing Flash Player [SOLVED]

Postby aaronschamber » 2010-02-05 01:54

I am having difficulty installing flash. I need to know from a Debian user how to install flash. If possible a step by step. I am using Debian 503.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron
Last edited by aaronschamber on 2010-02-06 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
A+ Comptia Certified IT Technician / Field Technician
Linux Noob :)
aaronschamber

Re: Need help installing Flash Player

Postby Struggling » 2010-02-05 02:53

This is what I did:
1. download "install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz" from the adobe site
2.right click on the file you've downloaded and select "open with ark". Highlight "libflashplayer.so" and select "extract" (the icon with the purple on it).
3. After you've extracted the file "libflashplayer.so", move it to /home/[your username]/.mozilla/plugins (create the "plugins" file if you don't have one).
Novice
Debian Lenny, KDE
Struggling

Postby 4D696B65 » 2010-02-05 06:05

4D696B65

Postby aaronschamber » 2010-02-05 16:57

Struggling wrote:This is what I did:
2.right click on the file you've downloaded and select "open with ark". Highlight "libflashplayer.so" and select "extract" (the icon with the purple on it).
3. After you've extracted the file "libflashplayer.so", move it to /home/[your username]/.mozilla/plugins (create the "plugins" file if you don't have one).

Hi Struggling,

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to install using the .deb package as it is the distro specific package but I am having issues with it. I tryed to install using the apt-get install command thru the shell and I get the following error....

/home/aaronschamber# apt-get install install_flash_player_10_linux.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package install_flash_player_10_linux.deb

*note : the package is in the folder I am running the command from, so I am confused why it cannot find the package :o

(If I cannot get this to work I will try to install using the source code tar as you have mentioned, I was just worried something would go wrong...like the possible dependency issues. I am new to Linux so I was trying to avoid that if I could lol.)

Thanks Again
aaronschamber

Postby aaronschamber » 2010-02-05 18:05

Hi 4D696B65,

Thanks for the reply

I have visited this page and it is information on installing Lenny-Backports which I would like to be my last option. As you cannot call you system plain stable after installing the backports I have read, but it is an option.

Thanks.
aaronschamber

Postby 4D696B65 » 2010-02-05 18:11

It should be your first option. Backports is very reliable and is stable.
4D696B65

Postby craigevil » 2010-02-05 18:34

Adobe Flash Player is <non-free> and cannot be in a stable Debian release, as Adobe doesn't provide security support for older version
(see http://bugs.debian.org/457291). The easiest way to install flash is with the flashplayer-mozilla package from <debian-multimedia.org> or flashplugin-nonfree from backports.org; there is also a flashplugin-nonfree <contrib> package for sid and testing users.
http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer

The problem with downloading and extracting it directly from Adobe is then how do you know when it gets updated? Using the repos when there is an update it gets updated.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS 10 (buster) Kernel: 5.10.20-v8+ aarch64 DE:LXDE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
craigevil

Postby aaronschamber » 2010-02-05 22:52

Struggling wrote:This is what I did:

I tryed the following install of the tar as you mentioned.
I tryed to extract the file into the plugins folder and received the following message...

tar: libflashplayer.so: Cannot open: Permission denied
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
aaronschamber

Postby Struggling » 2010-02-06 00:27

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Unfortunately, I'm a novice myself, so I don't know how to overcome your problem and you'd better follow the advice of more experienced users. Sorry :(
Novice
Debian Lenny, KDE
Struggling

[Solved]

Postby aaronschamber » 2010-02-06 21:17

Ok I have installed Adobe flash player using the Lenny backports here is how I did it for anyone in the future needing help that will see this... NOTE this is for the Lenny ver. of Debian

Enable backports by adding the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file ( go to my computer icon and migrate through the files until you get to the source.list double click it...then go to the tab Third Party-Software > click add button then copy the url below... ***note*** copy all of the URL from the deb - free

deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free

after that open up a terminal window get into root with su ...then run the commands below.

Import the key from the backports.org archive

apt-get install debian-backports-keyring

Run apt-get update

apt-get update

Install the Adobe Flash Player with one of the following commands depending on whether you like to use apt or aptitude

apt-get -t lenny-backports install flashplugin-nonfree

or

aptitude -t lenny-backports install flashplugin-nonfree

Restart your web browser and then test your Adobe Flash installation by watching a a flash movie. You should notice that the Adobe Flash Player has been installed on your Debian Linux system.

Thank you everyone for you're help :D
(Mission Complete)
aaronschamber

Return to Beginners Questions