Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Noob Messes up on apt-get. Now lots of Segmentation Faults.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
noob_for_life

Noob Messes up on apt-get. Now lots of Segmentation Faults.

#1 Post by noob_for_life »

I have been running happily on Knoppmyth R5F27 (on Debian GNU 4.0/Etch) for a good long time. Everything has been operating well. My kids get to record their Mythbusters. Life is good.

Tonight, though, I tried to make things better. And that was the mistake.

I read that we could use our PS3 to watch videos on Hulu. But, I needed a kind of proxy server or something to mask that I was using the PS3 browser. So, I thought I would install squid on the myth box.

I first tried

apt-get install squid

But, that didn't quite work. So, at a friend's suggestion, I ran:

apt-get update

Which had problems, too. Still, being a noob, I reran the apt-get install squid and a bunch of stuff came down. It has problems, too.

So, I turned back to apt-get update and realized there was a problem in sources.list. I updated it to have a more current repository and received the update.

Then I realized that the apt-get for squid was pulling down resources for lenny. I struggled trying to kill the install for Squid. Failed. And then rebooted just to see if I have problems.

And I do.

Mythbackend won't start. The command to do so produces a segmentation fault. Ditto for mythfrontend and mythtv-setup.

I don't know what to do. Can someone help me roll this back to a stable setup of Etch? If you want to see my (very messy) attempt to install squid and update the system you can look at

http://www.franksandbebes.com/iamanoob/ ... _squid.txt

Thanks much,

x00r

Re: Noob Messes up on apt-get. Now lots of Segmentation Faults.

#2 Post by x00r »

Hello

Though I have not read the attachment, i would do a dist-upgrade after such mistake.

Completely update your /etc/apt/sources.list to use only Lenny repositories. After that run:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install aptitude apt
aptitude update
aptitude safe-upgrade
This will remove much useful stuff, so keep a list of packages "to be removed". Run aptitude update and aptitude safe-upgrade once more and than just install the removed packages (apt-get update && apt-get install PASTE PACKAGE LIST). After this process, you can have a fresh Debian Lenny 5.0.X (cat /etc/debian-version) :)

I do not want to tell you it will work, it is just my suggestion :)

noob_for_life

#3 Post by noob_for_life »

x00r wrote:Hello
Though I have not read the attachment, i would do a dist-upgrade after such mistake.
Thanks much for responding. My one big concern with this is that my old release of Knoppmyth might not run on the newer Debian. And this has been one of those old, reliable things I don't want to mess with. Any way to roll back the changes?

Thanks,

Gary

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#4 Post by mzilikazi »

noob_for_life wrote: I don't know what to do. Can someone help me roll this back to a stable setup of Etch?
Can't say that I've ever used Knoppmyth but back when I did run Knopppix one of the big NO-NO's was upgrading it in the traditional Debian way - it simply didn't work. Try:

Code: Select all

apt-get -f install
Just to see if anything needs to be finished up. What does apt tell you after this? Let's see some terminal output.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G