apt problem

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

apt problem

Postby ammeniar » 2010-02-17 16:58

Hello gentlemen,

I have Debian Lenny on my PIII PC (with 128 MB RAM, 20GB HD, CPU =?) Installed and it works nice as long as I work in command mode. I wanted to use a GUI shell, so I installed Fluxbo, because of limited RAM, using APT.

But recently I can not install with apt-get install, it seems to hang somewhere. I haven't manipulated the source.list. I'm able to ping to a machine on the internet, so there is a connection to the outside world, I disabled firewall on the router, so no ports are blocked. I don't have iptables installed (for now), so no firewall.

I wanted to install samba and get the following output:
Code: Select all
# apt-get install samba
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  samba: Depends: samba-common (= 2:3.2.5-4lenny7) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: libtalloc1 but it is not installable
         Depends: libwbclient0 (>= 2:3.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

This is strange, because at my office I have samba installed too and that went without problems.
This is when I do apt-get update:
# apt-get update
0% [Connecting to ftp.nluug.nl (192.87.102.42)] [Connecting to security.debian.org (195.20.242.89)] [Connecting to volatile.debian.org (128.31.0.51)]

Another interesting point is that this time both my PCs (home and at work) have the same source.list. The one at my office does work and the one at home it does not. So I think something seems not right and I don't know what. At home I just can internet with windose on my laptop or PDA, so it is not the router. In debian I can ping, so connection is ok. nameserver settings must be correct, because nslookup gives correct response and dhcp server works, otherwise I can not work from my office with my debian at home through ssh using Putty. What do I miss here? It's really annoying.
Please help me.
Thnx.
ammeniar

Re: apt problem

Postby _Alex_ » 2010-02-17 20:46

Hi,

It looks like a problem with the specific package you want to install and its dependencies (version-conflict of packages that samba depends on) , and not with apt. Installing other programs should work just fine.

You might try to use ' aptitude install samba' instead of 'apt' since it give options for solving dependency problems.

Also, you can try to remove the blocking packages and then install the program you want.

Good luck,

Alex.

ammeniar wrote:Hello gentlemen,

I have Debian Lenny on my PIII PC (with 128 MB RAM, 20GB HD, CPU =?) Installed and it works nice as long as I work in command mode. I wanted to use a GUI shell, so I installed Fluxbo, because of limited RAM, using APT.

But recently I can not install with apt-get install, it seems to hang somewhere. I haven't manipulated the source.list. I'm able to ping to a machine on the internet, so there is a connection to the outside world, I disabled firewall on the router, so no ports are blocked. I don't have iptables installed (for now), so no firewall.

I wanted to install samba and get the following output:
# apt-get install samba
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  samba: Depends: samba-common (= 2:3.2.5-4lenny7) but it is not going to be installed
         Depends: libtalloc1 but it is not installable
         Depends: libwbclient0 (>= 2:3.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

This is strange, because at my office I have samba installed too and that went without problems.
This is when I do apt-get update:
# apt-get update
0% [Connecting to ftp.nluug.nl (192.87.102.42)] [Connecting to security.debian.org (195.20.242.89)] [Connecting to volatile.debian.org (128.31.0.51)]

Another interesting point is that this time both my PCs (home and at work) have the same source.list. The one at my office does work and the one at home it does not. So I think something seems not right and I don't know what. At home I just can internet with windose on my laptop or PDA, so it is not the router. In debian I can ping, so connection is ok. nameserver settings must be correct, because nslookup gives correct response and dhcp server works, otherwise I can not work from my office with my debian at home through ssh using Putty. What do I miss here? It's really annoying.
Please help me.
Thnx.
_Alex_

Return to Beginners Questions