Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Codec Question

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
mharrison

[Solved] Codec Question

#1 Post by mharrison »

I am having difficulty getting my DeVeDe created iso that I burned to a DVD to play on my Debian box.
I have w32codec and libdvdcss2 installed on my Debian Lenny system.
I have the Debian-Multimedia repository added to my sources.list file.
I've been Googling for an answer since 8:30 a.m. EST and everything says I should be able to install the above codecs and play DVD video.

When I insert the DVD, Mplayer opens up, acts like it starts playing with a (streaming) tag and then clocks to 1 second and goes to "Paused"

I'm hoping someone here can provide a bit more insight? I've even tried installing VLC to see if that mattered and it did not.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by mharrison on 2011-03-01 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Codec Question

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Ahhh....you have thrown a fastball right into my wheelhouse.

First of all, the mplayers from Lenny and debian-multimedia stable have no support for DVD menus, and are rather old anyway. It's possible to build the latest mplayer from source, as well as the latest SMPlayer front-end, and get menu support that way, but that's another story. The stock Lenny versions are not too great for DVD playback. VLC should have been able to play the DVD, though. You don't need libdvdcss2 since DeVeDe does not create encrypted files on the disc, so that's not your problem.

The best DVD player available in the stock Lenny repositories (IMO) is Kaffeine, though it will also require you to install the KDE runtime libraries if you don't have them (not a huge download). It can use libdvdcss2 and w32codecs if necessary, though it should not be for your disc. If Kaffeine fails, then it's time to look at how you created the DVD, and maybe test it on another standalone player. Could just be a bad burn...I have up to date builds of SMPlayer and mplayer-mt (multithreaded) on my system, and can test play straight from the DeVeDe ISO file to see what it looks like before I burn it.
MX Linux packager and developer

mharrison

#3 Post by mharrison »

Thanks for the reply. I've used Ubuntu for too long and got used to not having to use my brian, I didn't notice in VLC that it was set for /dev/hdc when the drive the disk was in was /dev/hdd.

Once I made the switch and did an Open -> Disc, my DVD menu came right up.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to file this post away and try some things later on when I have more time.

RoyFokker

#4 Post by RoyFokker »

I use Debian testing(which you may not) and this works fine for me:
Official Mplayer Homepage wrote: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html
2010-01-01, Friday :: DVDs
posted by Compn

... if you got some DVD's as a gift, mplayer -nocache dvdnav:// should play your new movies better than dvd://.
Menus work and everything.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Thanks! I have noticed that recent Mplayer source now has internal versions of dvdread and dvdnav.
MX Linux packager and developer