(solved) install debian on existing grub2

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

(solved) install debian on existing grub2

Postby naibed » 2010-02-21 01:36

Hi all.
My first post. I have been using linux for a few years but I am merely an end-user and many things are still beyond me.
I have a machine booting XP and Ubuntu 9.10 with grub2. I would like to try Debian as an installed os, and I have used the netinstall and put Debian on sda6.

During the installation I was asked where to put grub...as I did not want to mess up the mbr which has grub 2 I choose to install Debian's grub to itself on /dev/sda6 ...maybe because of the usb-netinstall menu.lst eneded up with (hd 1,5) I changed to 0,5.

Anyway the problem is...after running update-grub from Ubuntu's grub2, Debian shows up, but will not boot. It seems to go most of the way through loading the kernel then Hangs at, "Begin: waiting for root files..."

TIA.
Last edited by naibed on 2010-02-21 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
naibed

Re: install debian on existing grub2

Postby naibed » 2010-02-21 03:26

ok sorted by replacing grub2 with legacy grub.
Had to fiddle around with menu.lst and manually add the Debian partition, and was able to find the the initrd and kernel values by mounting /dev/sda6 to /media...anyway long story short; Debian is booting.

Really dislike the grub2 as well as the new gdm (2.28?) Two of the main things that got me looking at other linux distros.
naibed

Return to Beginners Questions