Audio Causing Apps to Crash

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Audio Causing Apps to Crash

Postby stat1c » 2010-02-21 19:13

Hey all, I'm a linux noob in general. I've tried several different builds the last few months.. Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, & Slackware
In every single distro I have experienced audio issues without being able to figure out how to fix them. It works great for about 20 seconds and then freezes.. sometimes it will unfreeze and sometimes it crashes the entire application.

Soundcard: Onboard Realtek ALC850 8-Channel
System: Debian Lenny

I ran audacious through the terminal and this is the output received leading from the initial startup.

Code: Select all
** (audacious:6804): WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

amidi-plug(amidi-plug.c:amidiplug_init:97): init, read configuration
amidi-plug(i_backend.c:i_backend_load:107): loading backend '/usr/lib/audacious/Input/amidi-plug/ap-alsa.so'
amidi-plug(i_backend.c:i_backend_load:145): backend /usr/lib/audacious/Input/amidi-plug/ap-alsa.so (name 'alsa') successfully loaded

** (audacious:6804): WARNING **: Unable to connect to dbus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

And then it repeats the following errors each time you start a new song:

Code: Select all
(audacious:6804): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(audacious:6804): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_emit_valist: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

This is not just with audacious. It happens with all audio.

Any advice or a kick in the right direction would be MUCH appreciated.
stat1c

Re: Audio Causing Apps to Crash

Postby Absent Minded » 2010-02-21 22:09

Hi and welcome to the Debian forum. What are your system specs?Also what types of audio are your trying to play?
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012
Absent Minded

Postby stat1c » 2010-02-21 22:36

I'm running Debian Lenny.

Sys specs: 2.4GHz P4 Northwood (@ 2.9), 1GB of Ram, nV6800LE, 80GB Maxtor, Asus P4P800-e deluxe mobo with onboard sound and ethernet. Sound = Onboard Realtek ALC850 8-Channel

So far the problem has occurred in various web browsers, rhythmbox, audacious, and teamspeak. The audio files being played in rhythmbox and audacious are mp3 files.
stat1c

Postby stat1c » 2010-02-22 05:03

Problem Resolved

Switched to a USB C-Media sound card and it's running flawlessly.
stat1c

Return to Beginners Questions