BIND9 local zone (LAN pc's)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

BIND9 local zone (LAN pc's)

Postby anvar » 2010-02-23 10:37

Hello,

I have a little question about setting up a local DNS zone for my internal network.

Situation:
I want to drop my windows dns box so I installed a Debian Linux 5.0 on a ALIX board (Voyage Linux) and that box I've installed bind9 & webmin (easy GUI)
Now in webmin I configure my outside dns zones for a loopback, example: mail.domainname.com resolves to the local ip of the mailserver. I don't use mailforwarders. And all of these functions work fine.

Now I want to set up my local pc/servers their hostname in bind9
So I've created a new masterzone with the workgroup name I use homenetwork.local, in this zone I've created my hosts and everything works fine. But I also want to connect/ping to a host without typing his full dns name.
So my 1stserver must also be accessible with "1stserver" in stead off "1stserver.homenetwork.local"

Can someone help me out with this,
Thanks
Thomas
anvar

Re: BIND9 local zone (LAN pc's)

Postby Coax » 2010-02-25 11:49

Make sure your DHCP server hands out your domain name to your clients, in addition to the DNS info.

On linux, you can manually put "search homenetwork.local" in /etc/resolv.conf so that it will automatically look for "1stserver.homenetwork.local" when you try to connect to "1stserver".
Coax

Re: BIND9 local zone (LAN pc's)

Postby Gary K » 2010-02-25 20:18

anvar wrote:Hello,

I have a little question about setting up a local DNS zone for my internal network.

Situation:
I want to drop my windows dns box so I installed a Debian Linux 5.0 on a ALIX board (Voyage Linux) and that box I've installed bind9 & webmin (easy GUI)
Now in webmin I configure my outside dns zones for a loopback, example: mail.domainname.com resolves to the local ip of the mailserver. I don't use mailforwarders. And all of these functions work fine.

Now I want to set up my local pc/servers their hostname in bind9
So I've created a new masterzone with the workgroup name I use homenetwork.local, in this zone I've created my hosts and everything works fine. But I also want to connect/ping to a host without typing his full dns name.
So my 1stserver must also be accessible with "1stserver" in stead off "1stserver.homenetwork.local"

Can someone help me out with this,
Thanks
Thomas

If I understand your question correctly, just create a reverse-lookup zone that references the machine name not the fqdn for the different machines. I do that on my home network, and forward all name requests for domains outside my network to my ISP's nameservers, and it works fine. I can access local machines by machine name or fqdn.
Gary K

Return to Beginners Questions