Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Administrative Priviledges in GNOME

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
leveller

Administrative Priviledges in GNOME

#1 Post by leveller »

I have a feeling this may be a bit of a stupid question as it seems like one that must have a very basic answer so for that I apologise but I have yet to come across or work out the solution. The problem I have is that I cannot do anything that requires administrator priviledges from within GNOME without doing it directly from a Terminal using the su command. The reason being is that GNOME will not allow me to log in as 'root' from the normal login screen. So therefore I cannot do something as simple as edit a text file that is not in /home/'my username' as I do not have the required permissions.

Could somebody please direct me to what I am obviously missing? :?

roseway

Re: Administrative Priviledges in GNOME

#2 Post by roseway »

It's not necessary to log into a desktop as root to perform admin tasks, and it's really not a good idea either. You can run a text editor as root quite easily: in a terminal you can use su, then edit the file using the nano text editor, or you can run a gui text editor (e.g. gedit) as root by typing gksu gedit <filename>
Eric

gradinaruvasile

#3 Post by gradinaruvasile »

You can run graphical applications without terminal too.
Just press alt+f2, type in:
gksudo gedit filename

leveller

#4 Post by leveller »

OK cheers, thanks for the advice.