Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Speed of non native file system

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
sjukfan

Speed of non native file system

#1 Post by sjukfan »

(Added question and changed subject)

First time installer here and since I enjoy playing games I was thinking of a dual-boot setup. At least to begin with. I know there's support for NTFS or FAT32 partitons but I wonder how fast those shared partitions will be compared to a native EXT3 partition? On a scale from "acceptable" to "oh my, that's slow".

...or is it better to make the shared drive EXT3 and read it through Ext2 IFS for windows?
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

fredcrs

Re: Speed of non native file system

#2 Post by fredcrs »

go for ntfs-3g
it works pretty good here, it isnt slow, but I think the speed depends on your hardware

RoyFokker

#3 Post by RoyFokker »

If you click the link on the Ntfs-3g homepage where it says performance it takes you to this Tuxera page with some performance graphs.

Conclusion Ntfs3g = shitty performance.

Also video games while fun, can be quite addictive and it is better to find discipline to do more constructive things with your time that can improve your being. Video games can only waste time.

Korrode

#4 Post by Korrode »

sjukfan wrote:...or is it better to make the shared drive EXT3 and read it through Ext2 IFS for windows?
I'd say yes, go with an 'Ext2/3 from windows' solution, even if just for the permissions maintenance.
I've got a shared partition currently using NTFS, but am planning to change it so Ext2/3 soon... from the brief reading i've done, i'm leaning towards Ext2FSD, rather than Ext2IFS.
RoyFokker wrote:Also video games while fun, can be quite addictive and it is better to find discipline to do more constructive things with your time that can improve your being. Video games can only waste time.
You sir, are lame :P :mrgreen:

Absent Minded

#5 Post by Absent Minded »

Please avoid any form of personal attack. Please read the forum rules posted at the beginning of each section.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Korrode

#6 Post by Korrode »

Sorry. It was meant with a good degree of jest.

sir fer

#7 Post by sir fer »

I have 2 SATA drives on a single PCI card adapter, one has an NTFS partition and the other is ext3

File transfers from ext3 to ntfs go at about 20MB/sec, from ntfs-3g to ext3 I get 40MB/sec and from ext3 to ext3 about 50MB/sec

I suppose to be fair tho, I should test ntfs-3g to ntfs-3g transfers, because I think they topped out at about 50MB/sec in windows too, but I only have the one ntfs partition in that machine

Make of it what you will.

julian67

#8 Post by julian67 »

royfokker loves that graph :roll:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=47246

Look at the graph and note the hardware it refers to. If you're running a MIPS architecture device with 90MB RAM and a 333 MHz CPU then it's definitely relevant. If you're not, then you might as well stick your finger in the air and see which way the wind is blowing and base your decision on that as on that graph.

If, as seems more likely, you're running an x86 or amd64 based system then storing data on an NTFS file system and using ntfs-3g isn't going to present any performance issues. I have a couple of NTFS filesystems (one on a dual boot machine and one on an external laptop drive) and some FAT32 and FAT16 filesystems (mp3 players) and it really isn't an issue. The only things to be aware of are the file size limitations and lack of permissions settings on FAT, and that NTFS must be cleanly unmounted.
Wisdom from my inbox: "do not mock at your pottenocy"

Korrode

#9 Post by Korrode »

To the OP:
Can't believe i forgot to mention in my first post, considering how recently i was playing with this myself; If the Windows you're running is Vista or 7, my suggestion would be to use the UDF file system. It's fast, has no file size limitations (like the 4GB limit of FAT32... unless 128TB is a "limitation" ;) ) and both Vista/7 and Linux have native read/write support for it.

I was getting all ready to start using myself, but when i tested the theory by formatting a USB flash drive with UDF, I realised i'd missed the fact that Windows XP's support for it is read-only. :S

sjukfan

#10 Post by sjukfan »

I'll get back with some benchmarks as soon as I get everything up and running here
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

sjukfan

#11 Post by sjukfan »

Since windows isn't my main OS any longer I decided to do the other way around and have XP read EXT3 disks instead. I don't have any benchmarks but they're fast enough to play game from and I can't really see any difference in speed from a native NTFS disk.

Ext2 IFS is a ring 0 driver so it's transparent for windos. But I had problems making it read EXT3 which kind of sucks. Worked fine on a EXT2 partition though.

Ext2FDS works a bit differently but you can trick it to put the swap on a EXT disk with a junction/symlink. It's also open source which makes you feel a tad bit less dirty for running windows.

The downside is that they don't bother about file rights and isn't doing the journaling thing. But if you just want to be able reach the same disks from a dual boot system this is another(tm) way to go.
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

Uunreal

#12 Post by Uunreal »

I was actually just debating whether I should make some extra storage partitions Ext4 or NTFS due to speed concerns. One for keeping VDI hard drive images and the other for storage. I guess this answers my question, NTFS it is. For compatibility's sake.